Looking to buy a tuner

Carnage281

Reaction score
So before I get my o/r x pipe I wanna buy a tuner so I can get the most out of it and turn off the o2 sensors. Which tuner do you guys recommend?

nightfire

Reaction score
SCT is pretty much the go-to tuner for pretty much the entire Ford community. As far as tuners, I HIGHLY recommend going to Justin @ VMP for his tunes. The guy is the MASTER of mod motor tunes.

OP
OP
Carnage281

Carnage281

Reaction score
So are the Sct x3 and Bamma sct x3 tuners the same, and do the sct tuners come with preloaded tunes?

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I don't know about SCT specific canned tunes, but I do know many places will send you some tunes preloaded as well.
I know AM does, also LRS does, they use Blow By Racing, and I agree about VMP, and I would think if you purchased a tuner, he may throw in some intials as well.

But I am not saying this out of experience for any but AM. But I do know LRS lists two tuner sets, one is just a tuner, and the other (same price) is a tuner listed with a free BBR tune.

nightfire

Reaction score
So are the Sct x3 and Bamma sct x3 tuners the same, and do the sct tuners come with preloaded tunes?

Same exact tuner. Depending on where you buy the programmer, that company may or may not have the tuner pre-loaded with a tune. Buy the tuner from American Muscle and you get BAMA tunes on it. Buy the tuner from VMP and you get VMP tunes on it. Buy the tuner from Lethal Performance and they push Jon Lund's tunes (who is great).....so on and so forth

FYI, BAMA is bottom of the barrel when it comes to tunes. They suck! VMP is among the best there is.

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
BAMA is good for a quick get my mods to work tune.
The best tune I ever got, cost me out the rear, and took 3 months.
I was able to get some remote tuning with Jon Lund when I was stationed in Germany. Took a while of datalogging and back and forth stuff.
But when it was done...as good as one can get without actually being on a dyno.

I am guilty of running AM tunes, haven't had any bad experience, they got my hot rod cams working in my 3v. I just used them to make everything function until I could get time(leave) to actually drive somewhere respected for a dyno.

But if I didn't get free tunes, I would have definitely gone with VMP, heard he's really good. Well worth the money.

Another thing of interest, apparently the Xcal 4 is out or about to be...LRS has it listed. Looks interesting

OP
OP
Carnage281

Carnage281

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys, I'm glad I asked. Otherwise I would have gotten the bama tune.

chris91

Reaction score
Do you plan on doing any serious mods to your car? If you are just going to do the usual bolt ons I wouldnt bother with a tuner because you wont gain much from it. You can buy some MIL Eliminators or do the DIY way to turn off the rear O2's and save yourself a bunch of money.

If you're dead set on buying a tuner you can pick up a Sniper Delta Force setup for CHEAP. I got mine for $150. It allows you to enter your info and it will make a tune for you. It did REALLY good for my Heads and Cams car. I then paid Willie @DirtyDirtyRacing to go in and do his thing with it and it runs GREAT. Now only if I could keep a transmission in it...

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I can't say anything BAD about Bama tunes, they do what they do pretty good for the price(you only pay for the tuner, and the rest are free)
But honestly, I just used the tunes because they were free, and got things running right.

For example, if I order my tuner from them, they can get my PI swap running better than just the 96's ECM.
But for things like cams(granted my hot rods worked) I'd invest in a real tune. I had a friend PI swap his 98 in Texas, the local dyno was a tuner shop, so we only used it for actual power output dynoing. But his AFR was pretty good for just the Bama tune. Made around 260 at the wheels with all his bolt ons, and the PI swap on the 91 bama tune. But at least it ran fine.

But for those little bolt ons, they work fine.
But you can always do better.

Now that I am fairly close to a dyno, and well having a lot of time, I will be actually getting dyno tunes.

OP
OP
Carnage281

Carnage281

Reaction score
Do you plan on doing any serious mods to your car? If you are just going to do the usual bolt ons I wouldnt bother with a tuner because you wont gain much from it. You can buy some MIL Eliminators or do the DIY way to turn off the rear O2's and save yourself a bunch of money.

If you're dead set on buying a tuner you can pick up a Sniper Delta Force setup for CHEAP. I got mine for $150. It allows you to enter your info and it will make a tune for you. It did REALLY good for my Heads and Cams car. I then paid Willie @DirtyDirtyRacing to go in and do his thing with it and it runs GREAT. Now only if I could keep a transmission in it...
Now I was considering that, but will doing the DIY way to turn off the rear o2 sensors make the car run bad or too lean?

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I'm running MIL eliminators, no issues here.
I can't say if it's actually doing anything, as no loss of mileage. But still have that glorious O/R smell.

But it's a good interim mod. I believe it just tells the computer all is well, even though the 02s are reading no cats.
Could be wrong. I just know it was cheaper than a tuner for a small mod.

chris91

Reaction score
Now I was considering that, but will doing the DIY way to turn off the rear o2 sensors make the car run bad or too lean?

Doing the DIY way is just like running the MIL Eliminators just a lot cheaper. Car wont run any different.

OP
OP
Carnage281

Carnage281

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go with the DIY method for now.

OP
OP
Carnage281

Carnage281

Reaction score
Okay one more question guys lol, do I need a tune for long tube headers? I know I'd need one if I want to get the most hp out of them, but I just want to know if I could still drive with them untuned without them messing with the way my car runs. I've read in some threads on moddedmustangs that you could, but I want you guys opinion on the subject.

GT3FC

Reaction score
I have an X3 from AM and I am running a Bama tune right now and I cant complain or say anything bad about Bama I can deffinatly feel a difference with the tune from bama. That being said I do plan on going to get a couple dyno tunes when I can afford it but for now i have not had a problem with any of my bama tunes and the guys at bama are awesome and will help you through any problem you have with their products. Bama is a good starting tune as stated earlier.

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Don't quote me for the 2v.
But no.
Granted without o2s you'll get a check engine, but if you use mil eliminators, and possibly o2 extensions..you should be good.
I say extensions because some headers people say are fine, others no. I'd have to go look again, but I would think perhaps the added length of mil eliminators would suffice but I'd leave the little details to someone who knows for sure.

I ran longtubes on my 3v, with no additional tune, it was tuned for my factory manifolds and O/R pipe. So my 02s were handled.
But I didn't have an issue and that Spanish Oak is a finicky mistress, can't even run a good CAI without tossing your car in limp mode.

I would think as long as the o2s are taken care of you wouldn't.
Not to say that it wouldn't help.

But if I am wrong, someone will correct me.
I'm still learning the 2v.

chris91

Reaction score
You'll be perfectly fine running LT's with no tuner. The MIL's are for the rear o2's but there wont be a problem with your front o2's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online