Lost cause?

1996GTKB

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm a big mustang fan with a 96 gt of my own. There's a 98 gt in town for sale, problem is the interior smells.
Have any of you guys had this issue? I think I can probably get a good deal on the car but the owner says he has tried getting the mouse smell out with no luck.

The car would be a daily driver so the smell would get old fast.
Any ideas would be a big help.

P.S. The extra money goes to the 96 so very little can go towards an interior on the 98.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what is causing the smell and what your budget looks like

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure its a mouse problem?
I've seen some people have issue with mildew for a variety of reasons.
Also... any chance its a flood car from the south?

I'd just remove the stock interior, clean and replace interior from a donor car.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mouse smell? If there's mice in it, they could have ****ed up a bunch of stuff. The price I'd pay would be contingent upon the damage done, if any... as well as my plans for the car.

OP
OP

1996GTKB

Reaction score
It's not a flood car.

It's definitely mice. The story is that a guy had it parked outside away from his home for about a year and never drove it. Then his house burnt down and melted part of his truck so he could no longer drive the truck.

the guy decided to make the mustang his daily again and found that
a) the car needed mechanical work from sitting and
b) the car had a mouse problem. No chewed seats or anything just a nest and feces in the car.

the guy took the car to a local mechanics shop and had the car brought up to a drive able state by them and had them clean out the interior as well.
The mechanics called the owner when it was done, the owner was unhappy that the smell remained and left the car there to pay his bill for the work done...

now it's sat in their secure lot for the last month.
the shop wants to sell.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah.
I'd personally replace all the interior
How sure are you that the mice didn't wreck any of the electrical?

RichV

Reaction score
Baking soda did an awesome job on a very heavy smoke smell I've had in a couple of Foxes.

If I had to guess, just like any animal, the smell is from pissing on the carpet. Replace carpet and any padding, steam clean the seats, and bomb the interior with fabreeze and baking soda.

OP
OP

1996GTKB

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they didn't wreck electrical. The mechanic was considering purchasing it as well I'd guess he wouldn't buy something he knew was gunna be a headache.

Pack Rat

Reaction score
Take the seats and carpet out. Take the carpet to the car wash. Have had good luck with that.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you're confident that it's just a smell and no other damage you should be fine. If you pull the carpet and clean all the interior and the smell remains and you have to take apart the rear seats, trunk area, and possibly dash you're going to wish you didn't get the car. I would just use discretion if buying it. Make sure you know what you're possibly getting yourself into.

I'd also recommend getting something else as a daily, with no hidden smells, and keep pouring money into the 96 since you already have it.

OP
OP

1996GTKB

Reaction score
Well I've already got a 2014 ram with exhaust as my other daily as well as a 2000z24 cavalier lol. This would be the replacement for the cavi.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
I pulled the ENTIRE interior (including dash and all of the wiring harnesses, pedals, column, etc.)out of a 95 a couple of weeks ago in about 3 hours, and there is no reason for you to go that far. Pull the seats, console and carpet, clean the floor, wash the carpet at the car wash or with a pressure washer, hang it out in warm weather to dry. You can even wash cloth seats this way if you need too.
Owning a used car business and salvage yard in the past, I have done it many times before. Just don't wet them in the car, they will mildew and smell even worse.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I would do is pull the rear seat out. There is lots of room under the seat for the mice to build a mansion in there. They love eating the seats and getting under them inside the foam and shitting. Look behind all the trunk panels also. These are easy things to take out.

If I was really going to look I would pull the rear interior plastic panels also as there is room behind them to roam and shit.

Jgehret

Reaction score
What everyone else said...

I'd automatically expect wiring damage to rear it's head at some point.

Many by moons ago I picked up a 71 Mach 1 that was stored in a barn after a rearend impact in 1977. I got it cheap, gutted the interior, hung new 1/4's and a taillight panel. We went so far at to bleach all the interior metal, media blast it, and coat the whole car in epoxy primer. Guess what? After the fresh primer smell went away the car still stank of dead mice and mouse piss. I sold it that way and fully disclosed the aroma (I didn't have to tho, it wasn't too hard to miss).

Remember, metal is porous....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
New carpet and rear seat delete would be high on my list but like said above you can always strip the interior and power wash everything.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
I don't think you need to replace it. You should see and smell some of the cars before and after I've cleaned them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online