Lost Pics From the Archives Of My 68GT

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
This was taken at Raceway Park, Englishtown N.J. It was a Mustang shootout night. The '73 Mach 1 in the other lane was my uncles car. We never got to run. Right after I did my burnout it started to rain. I never had the chance to line up next to him again.

matt001-vi.jpg

These next 2 pics were taken at Island Dragway in Great Meadows N.J. I would like to beat the person who cut off the nose of my car, that would have been a great pic to hang on the wall.

matt002-vi.jpg

matt003-vi.jpg

This is my oldest son Bill. He is about 1 or so in the pic. He is 16 now.

matt004-vi.jpg

This is Raceway Park again. I don't know what kind of car that is next to me, but the Buick
Grand National was big at this time.
matt005-vi.jpg

Driving to the staging lanes at Island Dragway. This was taken before my 427 blew up.
matt006-vi.jpg

The car ran a consistant 12:80's. I had a best time of 12:58@112mph. If I had ever became proficiant at shifting it would have been a low 12 second car.
matt007-vi.jpg

G

GREG@SN95

kick ass 68...

I almost had a 68... 289 was swapped for a 302 w/ a c4...

guy sold it for 4grand... sucked had I stopped and 1 min earlier it woulda been mine

97vertstang

Reaction score
great pics!!!! u had a fe in it??? what kind and what was in it??? no matter what u can ever substitute for big block torque!!! great looking car the 67-68 bodystlye is one of my favorites.

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
5.HOE said:
great pics!!!! u had a fe in it??? what kind and what was in it??? no matter what u can ever substitute for big block torque!!! great looking car the 67-68 bodystlye is one of my favorites.

When I bought the car it had a 427 medium riser with 2x4 carbs. That engine broke a cam and it just blew everything apart. I only found 14 pieces of the cam, and did not have enough parts to put it back together. I have a picture somewhere of all the pieces in the oil pan.

After that self destructed I bought a 428CJ to put in it. I used the same 2x4 intake, and had it profesionally built by Charlie Spielman of Tawneytown Md. He specialized in big block Ford's and ran a Torino with a 428CJ in it at 75/80 Dragway in Md.
I had a Pro-shifted 4spd Top Loader trans, 9 inch Nodular housing rear with 4:86 gears and a Detroit Locker.

The downfall of the car was the rear gear. They were way to steep for the engine. I would kick in the rev. limiter @ 6200RPM before I got to the traps. It really needed a set of 4:30's. Then it would have run 12:00 all day long.

I stopped racing after my daughter was born in 1994. I pulled the engine out in 1998 and sold it for $4,000 + a 390 that needed a rebuild. The car is an original 390 4bbl car (S-code).

Now it siys waiting patiantly for my 1966 Coup to be finnished so I can start on it, or somebody comes up with the right amount of cash to talk me out of it.

Greggerex

Reaction score
What a beauty of a car...

Kudos on a nice collection Matt.

:thumb:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wow those are some old pics. I love the last one, great pics matt :santa_afro:

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Wow those are some old pics. I love the last one, great pics matt :santa_afro:

Thanks Snake. I have been looking through the old stuff. I found some pics of my blown up 427 I will post them up later after they get scanned.
SonicStang said:
Awesome pics man. I wish I was born earlier... :(

Thanks again, but if you were born ealier then you would be old now.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good lookin pix Matt.
Cute kid too. Train them young. :thumb:

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Good lookin pix Matt.
Cute kid too. Train them young. :thumb:

Thanks Dalamar. I wish it still looked that good. The one summer it spent outside did a real number on the paint. My oldest kid is not much into cars, never was. Probably because when he was growing up I did almost nothing with the cars. Now my youngest son, I think he is going to be a little bit of a gearhead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.