loud popping sound from strut area

Reaction score
So this is the second time this has happened, with my first car and current, but there is a loud popping sound coming from the strut area of the car. Not sure what it is but after I lowered my car from stock height onto ford racing c springs the car makes a loud pop when it hits uneven road, which is almost everywhere in California. What could cause this? I have adjustable cc plates on and just put new struts on yet it still makes this loud popping. Help guys? Thanks

blackdemon007

Reaction score
My car has done and still does the same thing.

First Reason: Possibly bad ball joints - make sure you check this out as breaking one while driving sucks (Ask me how I know).
Second Reason: With a lowered car, the strut has less travel before complete compression. Even with brand new struts, the car can still bottom out the strut if the compression ratio isn't stiff enough for the springs.

Not sure yet what a good strut would be to solve the second issue, but I know some of the other guys (or girls) here can tell us.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've had them make noise just from being twisted a little in the perch, not totally settled in. Perhaps unload them and see if you can twist them

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
What if I can twist them while theyre on?
Not a big deal if they're lowering springs. Because they're shorter there's agood chance you'll be able to spin them when the suspension is at full droop.
Is there any play at the top of the strut and CC plate area?

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
Just dropped the car down and its still making that loud ass pop. Its mostly on the driver side but god damn it's so annoying. I didn't see anything under the car that seemed loose and I re adjusted the struts and made sure they were tight but still popping...

J_Sty_

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys use fox struts on pretty low cars because they are a little shorter so they don't bottom out as easily

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
Dropped the car down again today yet still making noise. Its not as loud now and for now seems to be the driver side still. Checked the a arms check the sway bar end links checked the struts checked the springs - which are a bit squeaky- but still no luck

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
Not a big deal if they're lowering springs. Because they're shorter there's agood chance you'll be able to spin them when the suspension is at full droop.
Is there any play at the top of the strut and CC plate area?

What do you mean by play? As in how much of the strut is poking out?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Is the top nut on the strut all the way tight? If it isnt that will cause the entire strut to move up and down and make a popping noise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.