Low budget coilovers

SNorange94

Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking into some cheap coilovers.My car is DD, but driven hard on occasion. I know you get what you pay for, but cheap coilovers have to ride better than the cut ebay springs I have now.
I'm looking into Raceland. They seem pretty good, and allow 1-3'' drop. $685.00 shipped with their CC plates sounds great to me.
Also looking into Cxracing. They seem to be a little higher quality than the racelands. Unknown drop, 32 step adjustable with CC pillowball mounts. $779.00 shipped

Raceland specs:
2 year warranty
1-3'' adjustable
Front – 220 lbs/inch (4kg)
Rear – 250 lbs/inch (4.5kg)

Cxracing specs:
1 year warranty
height adjustment unknown
32 step adjustable dampening

Front 8kg(447 lb/in)
Rear 5kg(279 lb/in)

So which of the 2 would you use for a DD, and why?
I want the adjustability of coilovers without the cost.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming you do not currently have CC plates, correct?

Why coil-overs as opposed to new springs for your current shocks/struts (and replacement struts/shocks, either new or used)? Are you going for the drop? A well matched set of struts/shocks and springs handles very well for street driving and even the occasional hard push.

I'm not really that familiar with either of those brands, I did some quick Googling, looks like the kits are coil-overs up front, regular springs/shocks for the rear.

In general, for DD, spring rates I'd think you want to shoot for are 275 to 300 lbs up front (coil-over), 200 to 300 out back (regular springs) depending on how low you want to go (lower means more stiffer spring). Others running coil-overs up front for their DD can chip in. I run coil-overs up front but my car is more track oriented.

For the Racelands: 220lbs up front is pretty soft. That's very street oriented. Doesn't mean it will ride bad, it's just for sure targeted to the street.

For the Cxracings: 447lbs up front is pretty dang stiff, like road racing stiff. The strut better be of really good quality (or they are quasi-fibbing about the actual spring rate).

The rears for both are pretty equivalent, depending on the drop.

OP
OP
SNorange94

SNorange94

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent drop, that isn't too soft. The springs I have now are too short and too soft. Every bump in the road slams my pinion snubber and bottoms out my fox shocks.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Spent the money if you want coilovers.

It sounds like you'd be plenty happy with a decent set of shocks/struts and lowering springs.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How low is pretty low? Like [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] low? Like not drivable low? If so you want good coilovers.

You can easily get a nice street low with springs and struts

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do it once, do it right. Don't cheap out. To cut to the chase...go with Maximum Motorsports. I have Strange on mine and they really do ride great for the street. If I ever did upgrade, it would be MM or bust though. There really isn't that much choice for our cars.. you could also try UPR although it's hit and miss.

And a 450lbs spring on the front is probably the last thing you want on a DD. You're better off with your ebay springs.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Everyone hates on Racelands. The fact is. I have several friends with them. One who has them on his jetta and took the helper spring out of the front and the adjustment collars out of the back. It rides fine. Pretty comfortabke for a slammed static car imo. Mine ride great too. Drove the car mine used to be on (bought used from a guy with a 02 v6) and i was very very impressed for a $460 coilover. These pictures are mine maxed out, but with everything in. Probably going to take a collar out if the back and helper spring out of the front to go a bit lower.
rnrcrgG.jpg

z9JBXGU.jpg

qGe3ZCw.jpg

Only thing i dont like that im sure is a problem with all coilovers is when theyre turned all the way up for max hieght the ride is so beyond stiff its painful. Just dont turn them all the way up (why would you anyways) and youre fine. I had to to get the car on a friends trailer and when i whipped it around the parking lot to line up with the trailer the suspension was really stiff lol.

If youre just dd your car racelands are fine. If you want to track your car or anything however i would not recommend them. Theyre only good for mimicking stock suspension comfort while going really low for cheap. More of a high schoolers solution (basically me)

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Go over to corral.net and buy some used tokico illuminas or bilsteins and get some MM coilovers for the front and some sportlines for the rear with adj lca's. Like [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] said do it right the first time. I got my illuminas over there for $100 shipped and if you can wait you can probably find some used MM coilovers too. Dont waste your money on something you will have to replace in a year or two and with MM parts you always have room to grow

OP
OP
SNorange94

SNorange94

Reaction score
I can't bring myself to buy used shocks/struts even if they're good when I buy them they might crap out at any time.
At least i'll have a 2yr warranty with the racelands.
I say my car is my DD, but I only drive it a couple of times a week.
My 99 explorer limited is lowered 3'', it rides and handles better than my mustang.
In my case, cheap coilovers are better than cheap cut ebay springs.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
FivepointSlow, that is exactly what I'm looking for! Perfect height for me.
How do they ride over bumps?
Bumps are fine. Theyre not super honda bouncy or anything. Being that low you cant hit potholes or anything big but general road imperfections it rides over well.

OP
OP
SNorange94

SNorange94

Reaction score
I'll probably give them a shot. If I don't like them I'll sell them and get better quality at tax time.
Thanks for the input everyone.

RichV

Reaction score
We just had this discussion on the FB group. The consensus is stay away from cheap, Raceland, Cx, SR, etc. From people that run CO setup.

Given the choice, I would buy used good quality over new crappy quality any day.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
BTW, sorry to plug this in, but I'm thinking about selling my Koni SA / MM Coilover kit... just saying :)

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Another option would be BC racing. If you are already going to spend $700-800 just save up a couple more hundred and get a reputable brand