Low Coolant Light Won't Go Out

97JF

Reaction score
Got a 2000 GT and the light wasn't on but I filled up the coolant anyway as it looked a bit low but now the low coolant light has come on and won't go off, could it just be the sensor ? Seems strange it would go faulty though at the same time I top it up ? Thanks for any help

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's most likely the sensor. I've replaced mine twice.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Probably the sensor... It's pointless anyway if you check your fluids regularly.

I installed an aftermarket expansion tank (without a place for the sensor) and I just unplugged it and tucked the wires away. The light will go out with the connector unplugged.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what the sensor's look like in the mod-motor cars; I've had this happen in my 95 as well. For me, the issue was the metal tabs on the sensor corroded over. After I took some sandpaper to the metal contacts and removed the surface corrosion the light went out and it worked fine.

chris91

Reaction score
In the coolant expansion tank. Right below where you add coolant to it. Pretty sure you cant replace the sensor in the newer ones. I just disconnected the sensor like Deeplist said and it went out. Not like its hard to check your coolant level when checking your oil. If the tank is clean enough youll see the level without even removing the lid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online