Low Fuel Warning Light

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No, he is definitely right with the term people proof. All people are idiots.

/thread.

That's pretty much where I was going with the "people-proof" - I chose that word on purpose ;)

Edit: aaaand BAM 1000 posts. Interesting that it would be this one. :D Welp, this thread has served it's purpose, on to 2000!!!!!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Post whore.

As for adding in a light, going off the restsiance is probably the way to go. It would be interesting to know the reason why the idiot light wasn't put in our car. It would have cost next to nothing.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As for adding in a light, going off the restsiance is probably the way to go. It would be interesting to know the reason why the idiot light wasn't put in our car. It would have cost next to nothing.

That is exactly what I was saying :)

Edit: Ohhhh look, 1002....uhand here we go! :p

lutter94

Reaction score
So which cars have the seat belt alert? My car has no clue if I wear it or not, I assume the 99-04's have a working alarm? Idk.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well, there's a bit of a difference between me and the Ford Factory, now isn't there? When one is building the car from scratch, as Ford did, it's quite easy to add in stuff at that point. If we are talking about me going in after the fact, well that's a different story and not what I was talking about. I was talking about at the factory.

I bet it could be done based off the resistance of the fuel level sender, no additional drilling needed. Which is probably how your meth kit (heh heh) is set up.

Your absolutely right there is a big difference. I mean your talking $40 in parts and a few hours for yourself, ford is talking a few hundred thousand parts installed by hundreds of people at the factory that are all union with full benefits. So by taking out a simple switch/light the savings would be significant.

From what I can tell on the meth kit float it is just a switch that is on when it is full/floating and off when its not. I know a person that could make a light off of the factory float using programmable logic controllers but it would not be cheap.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ttocs, if Ford it did the cost would be minimal. The more parts you buy, the cheaper the part is. So it would cost them pennies especially if they used old sensors. Then it would cost very little to get some line worker to throw it on while doing the gauge. All it has to do is detect a range or resistances to turn on a light, very little needs to be added.

So the additional like $10, just add that to the tag price. Costs ford nothing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You too are absolutely correct that $10 is nothing to ford, until you multiply it a couple hundred thousand times. Its like when you go to save weight do you really feel the difference in acceleration when you take the time to strip the factory sound damping? No not that day but keep taking a half pound here/there an suddenly you have save enough weight to make a difference. Its the same as the cheaper door panels with out the inserts, again maybe it saved them $10(x 250,000) so to say that it would not make any difference on fords bottom line is what I am trying to show you is wrong. Bet them taking that silly little light out of the mustang and possibly a few other models and suddenly the savings for that year is more then you and I will ever see in one place.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But yes fewer parts reduce cost. But they would be using a standard part and have lots of them = incredibly low cost.

Just seems silly to take it out to save a little money on each car. It was a standard feature then, and still is. There is definitely a reason why they're in cars.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ttocs, I hear what you are saying, but Ford is *already* in there, making a $hit ton of other wires. If they add one more to that cost, it's really insignificant. It's all about economies of scale. Of all the crap they are already doing to the car, adding in an additional bulb and wire doesn't seem like much. But honestly, I didn't work work the line assembling these cars, nor did I design it, nor was I responsible for financing them. So I really don't know. Maybe they did cut the fuel light because of cost. :shrug:

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried pulilng my needle off to move it lower, but if i move it any more then it won't read full when it's full which would kind of annoy me. Guess it's better than running out though. The weird thing is the gauge seems accurate until it gets around 1/8 tank or so, then it's all over the place. So i'm not sure lowering the needle even more would really help.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm going to look into the resistance measuring thingie. I'm not sure that I ultimately care, but my interest is piqued now...

chris91

Reaction score
So which cars have the seat belt alert? My car has no clue if I wear it or not, I assume the 99-04's have a working alarm? Idk.

Mine has that as well. Its just a flashing light though. You can disable it also which I have done on my Mustang and Explorer. Like I dont know I have my belt on or not.....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
like I said I know someone that could build a circuit to do it using the logic controllers. Its been years since I price the plc's but it would probably be $50 min. He built the automaton circuit for my electronic cut outs and the plc's can do almost anything once your get to know them. I would not classify it an easy DIY install unless your doing the extra float but now your talking about drilling into your tank.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It would be super easy to plc it haha. I'm sure you could find an easier/cheaper way to do it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ford just adds it to our price. Doesn't cost them anything.

I can agree that originally it didn't cost ford anything since they were charging for it. But you make it sound as though after they took it off they marked down the car $10. So while putting on the car technically didn't cost them anything, but taking it off means they have saved $$$$. You can say that $10 x XXXXXX cars is nothing to ford but if when times got tough they didn't start to cut costs and save money the mustang would probably not be here today.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I can agree that originally it didn't cost ford anything since they were charging for it. But you make it sound as though after they took it off they marked down the car $10. So while putting on the car technically didn't cost them anything, but taking it off means they have saved $$$$. You can say that $10 x XXXXXX cars is nothing to ford but if when times got tough they didn't start to cut costs and save money the mustang would probably not be here today.

Ford can charge what they want though... The price isn't set for them. So if their cost is more, they can add more to the price.

Yes cost savings is always good, but they set the price. A extra $100 on the big price isn't going to matter in a sports car market.

I'm guess the cost of the actual part didn't matter. I'm guessing it was more the engineering a new part + new production because they couldn't make older standard parts work with a new system. Then once the part that would work became more standard and available they threw it on the new edge

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure why its hard to understand that they saw that the value added to keep the light compared to the cost savings of taking it out was not worth it. I mean to you its a 10$ part that most people have been doing just fine with out nearly since the inception of the car. For ford now they got to save $10 (on the low end imo)on each of the 116,610 mustangs made that they made in 1998. Now I guess your going to say that 1.17 million is nothing for ford right? Now obviously ford makes well over that we can all agree but I don't think there are a lot of companies out there now that are willing to say "its only a little more then a million" and the day ford does I will be selling all the stock I have in them.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
*face palm* I give up. They're not trying to stay under a price. I'm taking this stuff in school currently, so I don't know anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online