low idle rpm only about 300-400 and won't rev over 1100 in park

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi what causes low idle speeds? And not revving over 1100 RPM in park but will do about 4000 in drive. I think the throttle cable is stretched and the trans is on it's way out anytime now would one or both of them cause the issues? Or could be a bad sensor? Or plug wires, distributor itself the cap or rotor? The ignition coil? Plugs which I replaced myself when I bought the car don't have more than 10-15 miles if that. The cap and rotor and wires all look relatively new. I disconnect vacuum lines and nothing changed. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
94 GT 302/5.0 stock motor and transmission wise I think. Only mods I know are x pipe and magnaflow mufflers I can pull codes again the cel comes off and on. I bought the car about 2 months ago to fix up myself since I couldn't afford to buy a nice running and driving one without any issues.

Jgehret

Reaction score
First remove and either clean your IAC (idle air controller). Secondly, clean your MAF. Then follow the steps in the photo. Let me know what happens from there

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I'll need an new gasket for the IAC won't I? As far the MAF sensor it looks clean and basically new unless I need to unbolt the black box from it to clean it which I don't have the special bit need for the torx screws

87hurricane

Reaction score
Most times you can reuse the gasket from the iac. As for the MAF, you'll probably want to remove it from the housing to clean it properly. Be careful when you take it out, as the wires on the end are fairly fragile, dropping it would probably kill it.

87hurricane

Reaction score
BTW, I think there is a rev limiter in park or neutral, so that part is probably normal.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
well the whole assembly for the MAF sensor and black part that mounts in to it look like there new. I took off the IAC valve what do I clean it with it? Carb or brake cleaner? It's dark brown or is that normal?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Use MAF cleaner or electronics to clean the MAF. Carb and brake cleaners will leave a residue.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
The MAF assembly looks brand new no carbon or anything anywhere the IAC valve is brownish black inside though. I stripped out the head of the screw on the TPS taking it off hoping Oreilly's or some other parts store will have another bolt I can use to replace it or should I go to Lowe's? Heard other's say they have similar bolts as well.

87hurricane

Reaction score
If you have a local ace store they will probably have a better selection of bolts and screws than a parts store and probably more than Lowes too.

87hurricane

Reaction score
It's easy to check the tps with a multimeter, not so easy to check the iac that way. If you think the iac is bad, just replace it. That being said, I don't think your iac is bad, normally they will cause hanging idle conditions, not lack of idle, and they definitely won't keep the car from revving up.

87hurricane

Reaction score
When you check your tps, check the voltage with the throttle closed, and then watch for a smooth increase in voltage as you open the throttle, if it doesn't change, or it jumps drastically, then that is your problem.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I'll get some throttle body cleaner and clean the iac and maf real good and borrow my step dads multimeter to test the tps. What would I set the multimeter to?

87hurricane

Reaction score
DC volts. There are three wires coming out of the tps, a ground, 5v ref, and the tp voltage. You want the ground and tp volt wires, should be gray/white and gray/red according to my wiring diagram. The voltage you're looking for should be somewhere around 1 volt at idle, and it should increase as you open the throttle. If you get 5volts you're on the wrong wire.

87hurricane

Reaction score
You should be able to check the voltage without the car running but the key on, or with the car idling, the reading should be the same, or at least very very close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.