Low Oil Light

chris86uk

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Got back from a 200 mile journey on Sunday, car didn't miss a beat. Started it up again a few hours later and the 'Low Oil' light stayed on after start up.

I switched off and waited 5 mins, then checked the oil. Over halfway between min/max, added a bit to bring it up to max.

Same thing happened again today, no light, stopped to answer phone, restarted, light on.

Obviously to me, it sounds like the oil pressure switch, but just want to check there's nothing untoward that happens with these engines and gives symptoms like this?

Thanks

Chris

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Its a small sensor in the side of the oil pan... they go bad.... the best solution is to get into the dash and remove the light bulb.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
I know what you mean.

How can I check the oil pressure though? Any ideas?

RichV

Reaction score
Shop or external gauge.

is the oil light and oil pressure gauge somehow related on the 4.6? The 5.0 has the light which is the pan level sensor and the gauge which is the 'switch'.

copmagnet

Reaction score
As long as there is 6psi of oil the light stays off. Go below 6psi and it comes on. Its most likely just a bad guage, but I have seen people assume its a bad guage and loose a motor due to clogged oil pick up tubes.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your replies everyone, I'll look into it more.

Didn't notice the gauge needle change, just the low oil light.

Do you guys ever use oil flush? I've heard conflicting theories on whether it's good/very bad.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
As long as there is 6psi of oil the light stays off. Go below 6psi and it comes on. Its most likely just a bad guage, but I have seen people assume its a bad guage and loose a motor due to clogged oil pick up tubes.
That's the pressure gauge.