lower the front

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
Hey guys I want to lower the front of my car I herd you can cut a coil out of the rear but is there any such thing for the front I only want to go down like .5 to maybe an inch I don’t want to lower the whole car because I had a low camaro witch hit everything I mean every thing and I hated it but I don’t like how the front of my car sits almost higher than the rear so any input will be appreciated . sn95

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yes u can cut a coil, but some say your ride will be harsh, some people say they like their chopped springs. Either that or go get some Eibach Pro springs which are 1.25" front 1" rear and you will not bottom out on anything.

ALITL8

Reaction score
ford racing c springs... if youre on a budget (about $125ish) try stangstore.com

oh yea, yes you can cut all of your springs... im about to try it on my daughter's stang. if we dont like it we'll be getting her some c-springs since she's going to pay for them.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ya, you can cut em, I've heard good feedback as long as you use the isolators again.

Most of the work is pulling them out.

venoNOS

Reaction score
Even try the Eibach Sportline Springs, They lower your car about a quarter to half inch lower than the Eibach Pro Kit. I love mine. :thumb:

Adam

Reaction score
Remember that aftermarket lowering springs are progressive rate springs, meaning they change there ride characteristics as they are compressed, meaning a harsher ride. A stock cut spring will have the same ride. I cut one full coil out of my stock fronts, rides excatly the same. You can easily cut 1 coil in front and 1 in the rear. I have LT headers also, and no problems with ground clearance.

Adam

ALITL8

Reaction score
Adam said:
You can easily cut 1 coil in front and 1 in the rear. I have LT headers also, and no problems with ground clearance.

Adam

we cut a coil from the front and rears on my daughters car today. rides good and looks GREAT!!! i'll get some pics for her soon and post them in the member rides section. shes new to the board, goes by "Brat" for obvious reasons... doesnt even have a license yet and her first car is a 97 GT, pullies, mac prochamber, flowmaster dumps, 3:73's (i think) and a cobra front sway bar. oh yea and 24# injectors for some reason :dunno: the guy we bought it from's brother-in-law owned it and passed away. he was building it to race before he died so i dont know exactly what all has been done to it, we find something new every time we get into it :)

ALITL8

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
Nice, I might cut my stockers this week.

its easy!!! 98stalkercobra came over and basically with the Brat's help did all 4 in approx 3 hours and barely broke a sweat. i didnt do much at all to help... i was deep frying some fish and chicken.

btw, i'll never waste my money at Buffalo Wild Wings again... well, maybe i'll buy their dippin sauces ;)

edit:// i'll get with Jeron and do a write up on the chop'n'drop when i have some time :thumb:

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
a write up would be grate if you could do that it would help out my decision alot im poor and going to motorcycle mechanic school so i definitely don’t have money to speak of so a cheap/ free mod like this is always welcome. i was looking at some very cheap ebay springs there like 60$ and a 50$ shipping fee witch is half the price of name brands but i rather cut mine than use cheap ones with a possibility they could brake or something like that

ALITL8

Reaction score
update on cutting springs!

the eibach pro kit on our 97 GT from bottom of tire to top of wheel well is 27" front / 28" back. on my daughter's 97 GT with the cut springs (1 coil) its 27 1/4" front / 28 1/4" rear.

before and after pics coming soon!

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
ok i cut my front springs tonight and i have to say im not impressed i want it lower. i cut one coil out right now my car is sitting 27 1/4 front and 28 rear. i dont feel like taking them out again and doing it all over and cutting another coil out so ill just leave it for now but i would rather have lower

ALITL8

Reaction score
billmacomber1987 said:
ok i cut my front springs tonight and i have to say im not impressed i want it lower. i cut one coil out right now my car is sitting 27 1/4 front and 28 rear. i dont feel like taking them out again and doing it all over and cutting another coil out so ill just leave it for now but i would rather have lower

remove the spring isolators for another 1/4" to 1/2" or buy lowering springs. sounds like Eibach Sportlines or H&R's might be what you want. if youre going that low, you'll also want to spend some money on shocks and struts designed for the lower stance, CC plates and possibly a bumpsteer kit.

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
Grrr I just notest the drivers side is 1/8 inch lower than the passenger side I know both springs were cut the same I just took the saw and cut exactly one coil out. I think when I replaced the spring the one side may have been rotated different than the other so the coil end on the one side is on the inside of the A-arm and on the other its on the out side of the A-arm making it just a slight bit higher

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online