Lowering springs questions......

CCM Power

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing some lowering springs for my 96 GT. Im thinking about maybe lowering it about 1.5 inches all around, nothing too drastic. Is there any particular brand you guys like? I was looking at the H&R's as well as Eibach ones too. Maybe even BBK but not sure about those. If you lower your car with any of these springs do you have any problems with the steering rack rubbing on anything or any bottoming out issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks guys! :)

monkeydude3

Reaction score
if you go that low, you are gonna want camber plates and a fresh alignment.

I bought my car with eibach sportlines (one of the backs is saggin for some reason) but the car handles amazing. I put maximum motorsports camber plates on it, had it aligned, and that sucker handles like a dream for a RWD muscle car.

If you have stock size tires on there, you should have no rubbing issues. I have cobra wheels with slightly larger tires and so far I don't have any real issues with rubbing... this is AFTER the alignment. Prior to it, it rubbed a bit on one side on tight turns.

George

Daywalker

Reaction score
I'm about to change out my steeda sports for H&R supersports, so I bought CC plates too. 19" tires cost too much to replace often. In your situation, I'd say maybe the H&R Sports? They're rated at 1.5" in the rear, and 1.6" in the front. H&Rs give a nice stance... :thumb:

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
The H&R's sound pretty good. From what I've been reading it seems that most of the basic lowering springs give you about 1.5 inches in lowering so thats why I figured I'd go with that setup. My car has stock tires and is street driven(no strip driving). I was trying to get an idea of what would work without having to worry about anything rubbing or bottoming out. Are there any setups that lower 1" or do you guys think the 1.5 inch drop is the best?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CCM Power said:
The H&R's sound pretty good. From what I've been reading it seems that most of the basic lowering springs give you about 1.5 inches in lowering so thats why I figured I'd go with that setup. My car has stock tires and is street driven(no strip driving). I was trying to get an idea of what would work without having to worry about anything rubbing or bottoming out. Are there any setups that lower 1" or do you guys think the 1.5 inch drop is the best?

Ford racing C springs or the complete Bullit suspension kit will lower you alittle over an inch.
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=458

Robuilt

Reaction score
Here is what i did, i went the budget way but helps me out at teh track. I just hit a 1.9 60ft on street tires and a cold track (with an auto tranny) stalling...if you want to call it that, at 1400 rpm.

I threw some used 4 cyl fox body springs up front and used GT fox body springs out rear. removed my front sway bar, and gave me a killer dropped look. Still very streetable unless ur a corner carving type of driver.

i love everything about it.

I dont have a clear pic to show you. this is as good as its gonna get for now.

puroexxon2.jpg

puroexxon.jpg

This one was with the stock 97 gt springs in the rear
weld5.jpg

Daywalker

Reaction score
Well, my car handles a lot better with the H&Rs, but I don't see too much of a difference from my Steeda Sports just yet. I'm sure they'll settle some though so I'm not worried. My Stang looked like a monster truck when I first had the Steedas put on... :nonono:

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Daywalker said:
I'm about to change out my steeda sports for H&R supersports, H&Rs give a nice stance... :thumb:
that's what i did, i love my new H&R SuperSports :dancing6: I'd drop the car more than 1", IMO it's not enough, 1.5" drop minimum!

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol i'm new and i don't know how to post pics but i have a 98 gt vert with the eibach pro kit with an extra coil taken off and it sits great. it rides like butt, but i just got some new KYB GR2's which suppose to be good for ride quality. Now i do know one thing i haven't read yet on here, the stock struts/shocks for the sn95 wont cut it so you might need to go with fox body struts/shocks so that your travel doesn't bottom out and kill the shock/strut. O and some CC plates are a must and a bump steer kit is highly recommended. good luck and i hope it looks hot. later

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
you dont need CC plates if youre only dropping the car 1.5"...anything more than that and you should definately get some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online