lowering the stang

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
so i just recieved my springs for my car and began to lower it, we started with the back and did the back just find and came to the front and had no idea how to get the bolt off the brakes to remove the brakes :nonono: any help here, im already sick of riding around with my car lower in the back then in the front. im thinking an impact wrench but not sure just yet

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you dont have to remove the brakes, pop the hood remove the bolts on your caster camber plates I belive and take off the bolts to drop your A-Arms. its been ages since I have done it so hopefully im not wrong adn someone else will chime in.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
thnx, anything else i need to do? kinda wanna see if i can do the fronts in about an hour, the rears only took about 45 minutes and thats with scrubbing the wheels really good :thumb:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It is nice to get that stuff nice and clean.

I did mine with spring compressors, if your just dropping it, be careful it doesn't shoot out and bite you.
the front springs are stiffer than the rears so watch it.
I think you can rent compressors from Auto zone or whatever. I recommend you do.

If I recall, you take off the tie rods, loosten the A arms, and let it down, then take off the top last.
Impact, hammer basic hand tools ect.

The brakes have 2 bolts in them, impact them off if you need to remove them, but you don't need to like Matt said.
if you do be carefull hanging them off the lines, it can stress it where it goes into the crimp/fitting.

good luck, you'll definately like how it looks when your done.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
there is a right up on mustangworld....to take off the calipers, there is one torx bole and one reverse torx bolt....i was gonna do mine a few weeks ago, but where i was at i didnt hav the torx bolt stuff....so now my springs get to stay in my trunk until i install them next weekend hopefully.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
well thanx every1 for the info, i didnt understand getting the brakes off with the mustangworld write up but i think ima try it later tonight without removing them... any1 know what other tools ill need, i wanna be prepared, i already have the spring compressors :thumb:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good deal :thumb:

tools - you'll want an impact, extensions, wabbly & sockets.
pry bar and a BFH.
some wrenches, maybe penetrating oil.

Good luck, Make sure to take some before and after pix.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i would take off the calipers, wouldnt wanna rip your brake lines or anything....you could always remove the banjo bolt, your brake fluid is most likely pretty old anyway, so just pick up a few bottles and put in some new stuff....but i would just undo the 2 torx bolts.

NotQuik

Reaction score
I undid my a-arm at the kmember, undid sway bar, and had jack up under a-arm so spring wouldn't shoot it down and released it all the way. I kept the strut and tierod end to keep everything straight. I'll explain better later or tomorrow if you want and i'll find the article i read on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online