Lug Nut Discussion! NRG? Monster?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about NRG innovation lug nuts?

They're damn expensive, but look like decent lug nuts. Not like we have a ton of options though.

http://www.jegs.com/p/NRG-Innovations/NRG-Innovations-Extended-Lug-Nuts-Locks/2804807/10002/-1

Ksnu2TVl.jpg

i3UNMR9l.jpg

Aluminum lugs make me worried though, some not so very good reviews on them in general...
But all the high end lugs are typically AL? Like volk

Ferocious? Who else knows about lugs?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Those lugs are very nice but very pricey. All the import guys swear by those and Project Kics lugs. Personally I love my cheap ebay lugs, I've ran numerous sets with no issues. I saw a buddy torque a NRG lug so much that the stud snapped but the lug was still in perfect shape, so they're very strong.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a buddy torque a NRG lug so much that the stud snapped but the lug was still in perfect shape, so they're very strong.

See when I googled a review on them the first one is some corvette guy crying because they stripped completely at 100lbs... Then I see a lot if bad stuff about AL lugs in general.

I'm sure lug nuts are lug nuts. Of course you get what you pay for though. And its not like my car is oriented for hardcore racing.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for black open ended lug nuts for our cars? Or just curious about those in general?

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for black open ended lug nuts for our cars? Or just curious about those in general?

Curious in general.
But I would like I set of extended lugs, know of a set? There seems to be little choice for us.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. These and sickspeed are the only ones I've found. Question the quality of the sick speed.

I guess the ones I've used for years on my car are an unknown brand. Probably even less quality, but they are steel.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Curious in general.
But I would like I set of extended lugs, know of a set? There seems to be little choice for us.

You are in luck, sir. I went through this very process, agonizing as it is, about a year ago. Trust me when I say I totally, totally get where you are coming from regarding the scarcity of lug nuts. I couldn't believe how hard it was. Anyway, I did a thread thing, and posted my findings. This link will take you to the post of the ones that I ended up buying. On the second page are pics of them installed on my car. They have held-up well-ish. There's slight discoloration, but nothing too bad. I'll take some updated pics and post them on that thread. By they way - they are steel. I had the same concerns as you regarding aluminum...

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do like the sound of those! Do they come in any different colors? I'll look more into the brand. Thanks!

I don't understand why there isn't a high end company that makes custom lugs. Just need different colors and threads. Guess I should start my own business :p

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do like the sound of those! Do they come in any different colors? I'll look more into the brand. Thanks!

I don't understand why there isn't a high end company that makes custom lugs. Just need different colors and threads. Guess I should start my own business :p

No idea if they come in different colors - they might. I was looking specifically for black so that was all I really focused on. I think if you made (or had made) an assortment of lugs that worked on our cars, I think you might indeed find a niche market :) You could probably charge $50 to $70 and get away with it :)

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION] I believe monster might be made by Muteki. Which I've heard good things about except for some of the finishes like neo.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I would be careful with aluminum lugs. I bought a set of 60mm sickspeed aluminum lugs and they are now toast after 30 miles and removing and retorqueing my wheels half a dozen times. You cant torque them down very much without stripping them. Ive always torqued my wheels to 100 and never gave it a thought. Found recently my lugs where stripping and my friend that used to work at townfair tire and now works at firestone says they arent even allowed to torque down aluminum lugs at all and wont work on a car for anything wheel related unless the customer agrees to let them put normal lugs on. Recommended torque for an aluminum lug is 75 lbs fyi.. which is a joke when using a torque wrench.. i always find it clicks pretty fast lol.
I would really like to find a lug designed like the one you pictured that isnt aluminum.. good old spline drives for now though.

Also i lost 3 or 4 of my allen head caps to those lugs... they wherent the best design lol.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mcglsr2 I believe monster might be made by Muteki. Which I've heard good things about except for some of the finishes like neo.

Good to know. Overall, I am still happy with them. They have held up really well.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I have the sick speed ones and the only complaint I have is I washed the wheel with some degreaser and it faded the purple color. Also if your worried about ****ing threads up put alittle never seize on the studs.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ugly little acorns that only come in chrome, black, red, blue. I dunno, I wanted something nicer.

Got some nice ones on the way, cost a damn fortune especially with the $ conversion rate...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online