Lurker with a oil dipstick question

Discussion in '96-04 - 4V Specific' started by TheDoughboy, Jul 13, 2015.

1. TheDoughboy

TheDoughboy New Member

So, I really hate the cable type oil dipstick my 96 Cobra has. I'd like to find a flat metal type that I can use instead. The cable one makes it hard to tell the oil level, to me at least. Maybe it is because I am using Royal Purple oil and it's almost clear on the dipstick after oil changes. One the oil gets a lil dirty I'm sure I will be able to tell the level no problem.

I'm thinking if there is no matching alternative with the low/full marks in the correct spot, I can make one. Just measure the length of mine then find one about 3' longer. Then I can Cut it to the same length and have a clean slate to mark the Correct "low" and mark the "high" at the 7qt level we seem to use.

Tried being a good lurker and using the search function to no avail.

Ron

2. Royal96

Royal96 Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean by cable type. Sounds almost like an aftermarket piece? If I'm correct, the 2 and 4 valve should share an oil dipstick, and mine is indeed flat. A trip to a pick and pull might get you exactly what you want.

3. Royal96

Royal96 Active Member

Actually, scratch that. I just went and checked my own dipstick and found exactly what you meant by cable type. Shows how often I check my oil. :confused: Maybe see if a 4.6l truck has a flat stick?

4. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Royal purple is tough to see, ill suggest keeping a quick thumb type flashlight.

5. TheDoughboy

TheDoughboy New Member

I might just go to pick and pull and find a long dipstick from a Ford truck or the like. As long as the dipstick tube diameter is the same. Then just modify the dipstick to my needs. The flashlight idea is good though.

I think I could find a unicorn that poops gold bars easier than finding a flat steel one with the same markings in the correct place...

6. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

That's odd, my 98 has a stamped steel oil dipstick.

7. TheDoughboy

TheDoughboy New Member

That is good to know, I'll have to check it out at the wrecking yard this weekend. Thank you.

8. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Let me know hoe your search turns out. If you don't find one I might be able to come off of mine. I want that fancy Lokar dipstick for our engines lol.

9. TheDoughboy

TheDoughboy New Member

Will do ;)