Lutter94's AODE to T5 Swap

lutter94

Reaction score
Figured better start a thread for the swap, even if it has been beaten to death, lol. I opted to shop around for parts, rather than buy an ebay kit. For one, its easier to buy a few parts here and there than to drop 2k at once. And I think I will come in just under 2k doing it this way. Here's the parts list so far. Have a couple things to buy yet......

BoughtNew/UsedPartSourcePrice
XUsedT5 Trans, Stock ShifterCraigs$250
XUsedT5 BellhousingCraigs$165
X
New
Prothane Trans Mount
American Muscle
$38
X
New
Bearing Retainer
American Muscle
$40
XNewStarter Plate (Dust Plate)LMR$30
XNewBellhousing Dowel PinsLMR$8
XNewClutch/Flywheel Master Kit
(w/ hardware)
American Muscle$320
XNewPilot BearingLMR$12
XNewThrowout BearingLMR$56
XNewClutch ForkLMR$65
XNewClutch Fork Pivot StudLMR$22
XUsedPedal AssemblySN95$60
XUsedPro 5.0 ShifterCorral$103
XNewMGW Pony Shift KnobMGW$56
XUsedUpper Leather Shift Boot w/ TrimCorral$75
XNewLower Shift BootLMR$30
XNewLower Shift Boot HardwareLMR$8
XUsedTrans Wiring HarnesseBay$64
XUsedT5 ECMSN95$75
XNewSR Performance Double Hook QuadrantAmerican Muscle$34
XNewMaximum Motorsports Clutch CableAmerican Muscle$99
XNewSR Performance Firewall AdjusterAmerican Muscle$34
TOTAL$1,644.00

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice list dude. that'll really help some folk who are doing the swap out when they're shoppin'!

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
I'll make a pdf when its all done, the first few are grouped together since it was one purchase on a forum. Since LMR and AM have free shipping, its easy to keep it seperate.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That price is HUGE.

I picked up the following used for mine:

• pedal assembly - $20
• manual ECU - $20
• used flywheel + resurfacing - $50
• wiring harness - free with purchase of used tranny
• shift boot with trim - $20

The clutch fork came with the tranny and Mustang Chris sent me the pivot ball for free since he loves me.

^ That alone should save you upwards of $500 from your list.
Most of those parts can be found at a junkyard if you have some nearby. If not try to score some of these off SNs being parted out on the web.

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
Problem is, there aren't any mustang's in junkyards around here. At least none that I know of.....I probably could have gotten a lot of the new stuff I bought cheaper from the guy I bought the tranny from, but at the end of the day, they would still be used parts in an unknown condition. I was always comparing it to the ebay kits, and all of their parts are used of some 20 year old car. Or at least thats how I justified it. I still haven't bought some things, can still shop around, just threw a guess on there.....

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Why didn't you buy a blown up engine GT parts car we a 5sp part it out and keep all the 5sp stuff? That way you will hopefully break even or at least it doesn't cost you as much.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Also don't go with a Alum flywheel if you were thinking about. There horrible for a DD car. Also look into the Pro 5.0 shifter you can pick one up for 100 bucks used.

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
Clutch is bought, 320 for clutch/flywheel, and all hardware. Mach 350 kit from AmericanMuscle. Seems like the best deal out there for what you get. Only things left are shifter trim, shift handle, and knob. Still looking for used shifters, the stock one is on it with out a handle or knob.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stock shifter handle if you want it. Just pay shipping.

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
Got the Exedy Mach 350 kit, it had a FRPP flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts, Exedy clutch, and FRPP clutch hardware. Pretty impressive kit for the price.

On a different note, has anyone removed the trans cooler lines? Is that just a pipe thread fitting on the radiator?

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
Does anyone have a p-clamp for the clutch cable? From pics it looks like it has a p clamp type brace that holds it away from the headers. The MM cable didn't come with any brace, I assume they intend to reuse what was on the car.

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
Turns out the harness I bought is a modified Auto harness to include the back up light plug. Does anyone have a 94/95 t5 harness laying around that they could make a wiring diagram from? Haven't really found anything online. Did see something about spicing two wires to jump the neutral safety switch, but also read that the O/D off light might stay on?

nitroram33

Reaction score
Turns out the harness I bought is a modified Auto harness to include the back up light plug. Does anyone have a 94/95 t5 harness laying around that they could make a wiring diagram from? Haven't really found anything online. Did see something about spicing two wires to jump the neutral safety switch, but also read that the O/D off light might stay on?
I wish I'd saw this thread yesterday before we shoved the engine and trans back in the car, would have been cake to do a diagram, but a lot more annoying now... Doing more or less the same thing you are, but bought a wrecked '94 from Copart for $1,384 with fees and everything and swapped the engine and trans, swapped the pedal assembly, computer, and a bunch of other parts the car needed in plus the MM quadrant/adjuster/cable.

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
With a boat load of research online, I think I found it. Looks like I will have a subsection for converting an auto trans harness to 5 speed. Lol. I stripped it all, and re-loomed it at work today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online