M4700B or M4700C

Fast Lane

Reaction score
Is it worth buying the M4700C or just stay with the B kit for new trac lok clutches?

OP
OP
Fast Lane

Fast Lane

Reaction score
No one? Is it worth spending the extra money for the carbon fibre clutches?

miscreant

Reaction score
No one? Is it worth spending the extra money for the carbon fibre clutches?
I put the carbon fiber clutches in when I rebuilt my 8.8 last year and haven't had an issue. It depends really on what you wanna do with the car and how much power it's making. If its making a decent amount of power and you're abusing it whether that be a lot of drag racing or autocross, then I'd go carbon fiber. If you just have occasional spirited driving and occasional roll race on the interstate, I'd save the money and go with the standard clutches.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fast Lane

Fast Lane

Reaction score
The car is stock and I dont race it but but my foot into it often... not a huge difference in price but was curious what others were doing. Also if there was in cons with the carbon clutches.

miscreant

Reaction score
I don't believe there are any cons with the carbon clutches. I'm not sure if they make more noise or not because my car is gutted and I can't tell. They will probably apply more aggressively but nothing that should be overtly noticable. If they aren't too much more, I would.just get the carbons. They are a tougher material and, if you plan on modifying the car the future, will be a great addition for peace of mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CobraEd

Reaction score
I would definitely get the carbon fiber clutch packs. I have them in both my 03 Cobra 8.8" IRS & the swapped in 8.8" SRA in my 85 GT. You do need to add 1 bottle of friction modifier to prevent clutch pack chatter on really tight turns. I have not experienced any noticeable noise & have not had any chatter issues. Some people have reported using various synthetic diff fluids which supposedly already had friction modifiers built in, but they still experienced chatter. Do yourself a favor and add a bottle of friction modifier. Ford Motorcraft XL-3 for use with conventional gear lubes; Ford Racing CM195461A1 friction modifier for synthetics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fast Lane

Fast Lane

Reaction score
I installed the carbon clutches and what a difference! Definitely worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online