Mach 460 Amp repairs

Flade

Reaction score
It’s well documented that when the Mach 460 gets older the amps can fail in a way that causes a parasitic draw on the battery when the car is turned off.

What I have not been able to find is anyone documenting what fails in the Amps and if they can be fixed. I have found a number of repair threads and video for when the Amps fail completely but nothing on the parasitic draw.

I don’t want to have to replace all the speakers, wiring and amps. I just want to keep my Mach 460 systems running (I have 4 cars). Has anyone found a solution to fixing these amps? If I can’t fix them, then I may have to run a relay to cut the power off from them when the car is shut off.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never known anyone attached to the system to invest the money needed to repair it. A good electronics tech would be able to repair it but it will probably cost you $50-75 in a diagnostic fee to find out and then the cost of the repair, I would budget $150-200 for a repair. The only problem then is that the mach amps are made to play on the stock speakers and they were not made to last decades and they are either dry rotted or going to be soon. The tweeters could be easily replaced being 4 ohm but you will have a hard time finding an 8 ohm 5 x 7" woofer to replace. so with that being said as well as people wanting bluetooth/mp3 formats leads them to be replaced more often than repaired.

OP
OP
F

Flade

Reaction score
I have 4 SN95 Mustangs with the Mach 460. I have never had to replace a speaker. Only the Amps fail.

07GtS197

Reaction score
What about wiring an amp in place of the stock one? I’m interested in this as well. Most aftermarket radios look out of place in these cars imo.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I don’t see how it would be that hard if there are pinouts of the radio harness. Check the wire colors at the amp and splice accordingly.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its easy as long as you find both locating and correctly wiring the 8 input wires, the 10 output wires, and then power/ground/trigger no problem. I don't mean its physically difficult, just tedious but then after you locate the wires there are some differences in the mach system that will need to be accounted for to hook up aftermarket gear. The factory radio does not put out a low level rca output like aftermarket amps like to get so you will either need to get an amp with line level inputs or use a LOC to knock down the signal. After that the tweeters are 4 ohm but if I remember correctly the woofers are an 8 ohm. All car audio stuff is optimized to run on 4 ohm or lower and that means if you hook up an 8 ohm woofer you will get much less power to it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Like out converter wouldn’t be hard to install. As for the differences in impedance couldn’t you wire in another, small amp to just power the tweeters? It might take up more room but it would improve the sound and keep the stock head unit in the car for those that want to keep it stock.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you would need 8 channels of amplification as well as a passive cross-overs built but you can use as many amps as you want. Again you will need to find an amp for the woofers that makes power at 8 ohms, not 4.

OP
OP
F

Flade

Reaction score
Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have never known anyone attached to the system to invest the money needed to repair it. A good electronics tech would be able to repair it but it will probably cost you $50-75 in a diagnostic fee to find out and then the cost of the repair, I would budget $150-200 for a repair. The only problem then is that the mach amps are made to play on the stock speakers and they were not made to last decades and they are either dry rotted or going to be soon. The tweeters could be easily replaced being 4 ohm but you will have a hard time finding an 8 ohm 5 x 7" woofer to replace. so with that being said as well as people wanting bluetooth/mp3 formats leads them to be replaced more often than repaired.

That's just it. The tweeters aren't just tweeters. They are for highs AND midbass. The 6x8 produce bass only.
This, and the fact that they are not run at 4ohms is the big problem as to why you can't just swap speakers like some say you can do. It will sound like shit.

Either replace speakers with OEM, or gut the Mach 460 and start over (my recommendation).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online