Mach 460 - Plug and Play speaker upgrades?

Venompower

Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a double din car play receiver from Crutchfield to replace the stock radio/tape and CD players... Crutchfield asks if the car is Mach 460 so I think any of the receivers should be fine. However, while I will be able to stream music... I'd hate to then realize that the speakers are junk, and would love some recommendations of budget drop in speakers that would be an upgrade over the stock ones from 96'...

Not interested in tracing wires etc. would really just like higher quality speakers that will install in place of what I have now. I'll continue to research, but if anyone has some brands or actual speaker recommendations I'd love to hear them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the stock mach system can be used with a new deck but the amps are known to kill batteries and the speakers are certainly not in their prime. With that being said with out a small sub in the trunk your probably going to lose a little low end bass by just replacing the stock 5 x 7s. I am not saying that the new speakers might not sound better but the stock woofers didn't do to bad on the low end.

I know on 94/95 there is an easy way to bypass the stock amps and not need to run wires. Sometime towards 96-97 they made some changes and I have never got to dig into one of those to find where the same bypass harness is but there should be one. On 94/95 all you need to do is to get the 70-1770 ford harness and wire it up so the colors on both harnesses match. Now the speaker harness you will find clipped to the inside of the console on the passenger side once the radio is pulled out. It is plugged into another harness already but all you do is disconnect those two and then plug in the one you wired up. The final part of the puzzle is that you do not use the speaker wires that go to the 5 x 7 woofers but the speaker wires that go to the tweeters. Up front you will need to run a wire down from the mirror to the lower location but its a 2 ft long run and no problem.

Adfalenski

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah