Mach 460 revamp

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
Hello All, so my thought is this. Electronics have come along way since my car was new. Has anyone gutted the 460 system and replaced it with components with passive crossovers? Have a centralized 4 channel amp, something 50x4. Make it look factory? I am thinking about attempting this. I am 45, i dont speed, i like flowmasters, my air works and i like loud stereos in my cool 90’s car :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the first system I built in the 94 was for 4 8" subs that hung from the rear deck like the mach system did. It isn't too hard to hide an amp, the sub is the hard part to hide.

OP
OP
K

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
I was actually looking at the hertz 5.25 component speakers for each corner. As far as bass goes, i miss it, i like my piano music way to much

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I installed car audio and security for more than a few years. The 6" will give a little better low end response.

badass98svt

Reaction score
6.5s will fit for the most part, 6x8 is the OEM size.

I actually am doing this in a couple weeks.
I bought:
Focal 6x8 component set for the doors
Focal 6x8 coaxials for the rear deck
JL Audio Stealth box with 10w3
Kicker 800.5 amp
Sound deadener, Dynamat, new carpet with sound deadening built in etc etc.

I can take pics as I go along

OP
OP
K

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
6.5s will fit for the most part, 6x8 is the OEM size.

I actually am doing this in a couple weeks.
I bought:
Focal 6x8 component set for the doors
Focal 6x8 coaxials for the rear deck
JL Audio Stealth box with 10w3
Kicker 800.5 amp
Sound deadener, Dynamat, new carpet with sound deadening built in etc etc.

I can take pics as I go along
That .5 amp is cats meow, cant wait

OP
OP
K

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
After much ado, it seems easiest to replace everything. Prob gonna start in a week.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What year is this going in? Most people will tell you that you have to run new speaker wires but the wires that are there are fine for what your doing, it is just a matter of finding them. But with a couple of little install tricks you can wire up a full system with out running anymore wire than in the trunk from the amps to the stock speaker wires in back.

OP
OP
K

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
I got a 97, i am going to use the jump wires from the package tray to run my speakers. I got a marine amp that 200x4 on my harley that would fit perfectly in one of the spots, i may get a second.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you are wanting to amplify the front speakers you can save yourself the trouble of running wire up front. Just run your wires to the stock wires that connected to the rear speakers. Now go in your dash and connect the front/rear speaker wires on that harness and now your wired in.

OP
OP
K

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
if you are wanting to amplify the front speakers you can save yourself the trouble of running wire up front. Just run your wires to the stock wires that connected to the rear speakers. Now go in your dash and connect the front/rear speaker wires on that harness and now your wired in.
Yea, you are basically jumping the wires behind the radio. My ultimate dilema is, i am running rca cords front to back. Its a mofo to pull the wires from the door to the cab, its not impossible, it just sucks

chithead

Reaction score
Excited to see what you decide on. Started an install in our 98 non Mach - but using 460 sail panel pods for a set of tweeters from Image Dynamics. Picked up a set of their XS57 components. They sound really nice, the tweeters are definitely the star. Perfect percussion, and amazing midrange detail. Particularly vocals and piano. Noticed the midbass isn't all that great - so a subwoofer would really be desired.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ID is one of those brands I have just never had a complaint about. I sold them back in the 90s(when I was lucky people were to cheap here most of the time) and you could always sit back and just enjoy the sound. Now I have to tell you that after years of doing them our rep came in and dropped off a set of diamond audio Hex components to try out and I can't tell you how amazed I was at how much better they sounded. We had just rigged them up for a quick test and I still remember looking at how horrible the tweeter looked held up with scotch tape but how great they sounded directly next to ID speakers....

OP
OP
K

KasperBPMC

Reaction score
One thing i can say about component vs coaxial, the closer the tweeter stays to the woofer its matched to the better. You will find that no matter how much you adjust, the tweets always over power. I been out the game for a while, the standard “system” as i remember doing on sn95’s, we used to just use 5.25 components up front and 6.5 components out back. I did a ton of xm504 amps. I never dug deep into the 460’s. It was so advanced for the time that no one messed with them then. Now being retired from that life, i find myself regoogling things over and over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online