Mach 460 revamp

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
One thing i can say about component vs coaxial, the closer the tweeter stays to the woofer its matched to the better. You will find that no matter how much you adjust, the tweets always over power. I been out the game for a while, the standard “system” as i remember doing on sn95’s, we used to just use 5.25 components up front and 6.5 components out back. I did a ton of xm504 amps. I never dug deep into the 460’s. It was so advanced for the time that no one messed with them then. Now being retired from that life, i find myself regoogling things over and over
I was installing at best buy back when we picked up my 94 and I was knee deep in it almost as soon as it was home. They made it out to be super complicated but once you found where stuff was and knew what the harnesses looked like they were easy

badass98svt

Reaction score
Started ripping out the Mach system today. Pulled out the rear stuff today, I'm going to put down sound deadener and some CCF over it to really quiet down the cabin before tackling the front. The trunk has all the sound deadener down, and some of the ccf. Under the rear seat is completely done with the deadener and ccf already too. Just need to do behind the rear quarter trim. I pulled off the trim panels today and will be adding a piece of deadener in a few spots, and then hitting them with the ccf treatment too. I also be adding it to the car itself behind those trim panels.

chithead

Reaction score
CCF - Closed Cell Foam - helps eliminate rattles and buzzes caused by all those wonderful plastic panels.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
gotcha, mlv works a little better imo lol. When I replaced my carpet I just got some unbacked black carpet from an upholsterer and used the mlv instead of that stock jute crap and made my own

94StewFord

Reaction score
One thing i can say about component vs coaxial, the closer the tweeter stays to the woofer its matched to the better. You will find that no matter how much you adjust, the tweets always over power. I been out the game for a while, the standard “system” as i remember doing on sn95’s, we used to just use 5.25 components up front and 6.5 components out back. I did a ton of xm504 amps. I never dug deep into the 460’s. It was so advanced for the time that no one messed with them then. Now being retired from that life, i find myself regoogling things over and over
I currently have a new set of Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5's and am trying to figure out whether I use them up front or keep my stock 460 up front and install them in the rear along with a single Boston Pro 8.0LF? I am 53 and hoarded all this new equipment from back in the late 90's as it went out of production as I am a BA snob! LOL........

badass98svt

Reaction score
I currently have a new set of Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5's and am trying to figure out whether I use them up front or keep my stock 460 up front and install them in the rear along with a single Boston Pro 8.0LF? I am 53 and hoarded all this new equipment from back in the late 90's as it went out of production as I am a BA snob! LOL........

You know you can't power them off the stock amps right?

joemomma

Reaction score
If you're just going to replace one (front or rear), definitely replace the fronts and leave the rears stock. Ideally you'd replace both (as they're going on 20+ years old at this point), but if you're just doing one then absolutely replace the fronts in that case. The stock will be fine for rear fill.

Tturaider

Reaction score
I was installing at best buy back when we picked up my 94 and I was knee deep in it almost as soon as it was home. They made it out to be super complicated but once you found where stuff was and knew what the harnesses looked like they were easy
I’m just got my 94 GT and have taken the interior apart. Now trying to figure out the best course of action to replace it all.

When you mentioned using the current speaker wiring do you have any more in depth tips? My initial thought was to just rewire to a new 4 channel amp and rerun fresh speaker wire.

Also what aftermarket deck harness do you need in these cars?

Easiest option: Is it possible to just bypass the Mach amps and power new aftermarket speakers with the deck?

I’ve read so many conflicting things that I am completely lost

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is the kit you want to use.

Now there is an easy way to wire in a 4 channel amp and run no more wire than what is needed to go from the amp to the rear speakers. What you do is wire up the rear speakers off the amp just like you would normally, and then for the front speakers run the wires right next to the wires you just ran and connect those to the factory speaker wires that use to connect to the tweeters. Now by doing this you will be sending the signal back up to the deck and that black harness that I posted above. When you install the radio, all you need to do is take the black speaker side harness and connect the left front/rear +/- wires together and the signal from the amp now goes to the rear speaker wires, back up to the deck where they then connect to the front speaker wires. Just connect your front speakers to the tweeter wires and you are done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online