MACH 460 stopped working...help!!

extreme_21

Reaction score
Ok, first off the car is a '95 GT 5spd..I just replaced the A/C evap, so in other words I had to remove the complete dash. I fitted every back together perfectly, or so I thought. When I turned on the radio or even cd player, it's as if the amps are not working..its a complete dull sound without any bass. I checked all the wiring from behind the radio and cd player..even the connector below the LH A-post..all appears good. Now when I checked Mitchell wire-diagrams..it shows a common ground for both amps behind the center of the dash..does anyone know where this could be located excactly or even what could possible be the problem. I haven't checked resistance to ground yet to see if I might of pinched any wires(doesn't seem like so)...but any info would be great.

thanx,

tooslow

Reaction score
i'm not sure what could be wrong.

i have a friend who installs sound equipment and during a convo about me maybe upgrading my mach 460 system by adding a sub or anything for that matter he said to forget about it.

they don't touch factory mach systems unless they are completely removing it because like you, they've never gotten one to sound right again after fooling with it. even in factory form.

idk man, i hope you can solve your problem. or someone here may be able to help you.

OP
OP
extreme_21

extreme_21

Reaction score
Well mines completely original, haven't changed anything yet. I'm thinking I might have a dead wire from the radio to the "A" post connector or from the "A" post connector to the amps...all the component speakers work great but "none" of the 4 woofers work at all..this is all since removing/reinstalling the dash due to replacing the A/C evap

ripper

Reaction score
I hate to say this but i think you have to take it off again. You missed a wire somewere. Probubly a ground. Thats what im thinkin anyway.

OP
OP
extreme_21

extreme_21

Reaction score
that's actually the first thing i thought, but after looking at the wiring diagram..there is no seperate ground or power to the amps in the trunk. I know the amp over the trans tunnel is getting the sound input because the 4 component speakers are working great. WHat I think my next step would be to check resistance from the main amp on the trans tunnel to the "A" post drivers side..then from the "A" post to the amps in the trunk. I have a feeling it might be the connector at the "A" post cause it doesn't seem to secure. ne-waz I'm gonna put some more time on it tonite if i can.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
i experienced this same problem awhile back but it was because my battery needed to be replaced and it also had a bad connection. so your problem most likely is because of a bad connection somewhere. probably missed a ground somewhere. first check your battery connections. let us know.

OP
OP
extreme_21

extreme_21

Reaction score
Omg..ok so I figured this out and got the mach 460 working again, actually even better than before. theres a total of 30 wires for the mach 460 system, that's not including radio and cd player nor wires to speakers. ne-waz i had to do this all without wiring diagrams so..not only was my mach 460 not working but when i would turn on my headlights the interior dome light would come on till the headlights were shut off.
I got out my multimeter(cheapom might i add) and started doing resistance from point "a" to point "b" of each wire...yah that's right 30 times. None the less all the wires turned out good..once i figured out which wires were which.. i checked for power at the rear and front woofer amps..nothing, yet all connections were great via radio to amps. I then used a fluke meter to check how good of a connection i was getting for the +/- to the amps..the + was excellent but the ground had high resistance..so i spliced in on the ground wire at the drivers "A" post and grounded the amps feed to the "A" post...Volla!! The mach 460 amps fired up and pounded even stronger than before..not only that but by fixing this ground my dome light doesn't turn on when the headlights are used. So word of advise..get the wiring diagrams and use a resonable multimeter when testing, you'll save a bunch of time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online