mach 460 trouble

heffe2001

Reaction score
I've got the schematics/pinouts specifically for your year model car from Alldata, I'll see if I can get them uploaded and attached here in a bit (I'm at work, but should be able to shortly).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had another thought, did you unplug the speakers that played and turned the volume up all the way to confirm there was no sound? I ask because the mach amps like a high voltage input, higher then most decks like to put out honestly and when matched up with the decks amp, just as the deck amp is distorting and sounding bad, the factory amps will just start to get warmed up. I used a little box called a line driver that would amplify the RCA voltage to a 6-8v output where the factory amps liked it myself to get past this problem but with out it the output on the woofers could be very very low compaired to the tweets

heffe2001

Reaction score
I got the harness pinout diagrams for the '97 GT with premium sound. There were several pages so I just made a PDF of the files. Was kind of a pain since I was remoted into my system, with no easy way to save them on my PC at home, lol. Printed them on my work printer, then scanned them, if the page sizes look odd, that's why, lol.

All the pinouts are there (with the exception of the CD player harness, which you probably don't have in there anyway). It may or may not help, but at least you'll know what wires do what...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52649026/mustang/Stereo/97 Radio Harness Diagrams.pdf

Also, do you have the exact numbers of the harness kit(s) you're using?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
It looks petty new I checked all the settings nothing for the out puts

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
I don't think there's Any 14 pins connectors on mine

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
I got the harness pinout diagrams for the '97 GT with premium sound. There were several pages so I just made a PDF of the files. Was kind of a pain since I was remoted into my system, with no easy way to save them on my PC at home, lol. Printed them on my work printer, then scanned them, if the page sizes look odd, that's why, lol.

All the pinouts are there (with the exception of the CD player harness, which you probably don't have in there anyway). It may or may not help, but at least you'll know what wires do what...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52649026/mustang/Stereo/97 Radio Harness Diagrams.pdf

Also, do you have the exact numbers of the harness kit(s) you're using?
I don't have the harness number but I!know it's the correct one
And ttocs I unplugged the speakers abd used just rcas and nothing still

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it sounds like a bad amp but the problem is for all 4 to be dead it would be 2 bad amps. That still could happen but I still suspect the source or power myself. Did you check your decks manual to make sure the rca outputs are not able to be turned off? Some have that option.

You said the amps have power, I assume that means 12v power right? There should also be the turn on wire, did that show 12v with the aftermarket and 6v with the stock deck?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
No controls for the RCA's on the radio and all the power wires I tested yesterday( the three yellow ones ) had 12 volts going to them do you happen to know what color the signal wire is on the amp? and I am getting a known good amp to try tomorrow

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

heffe2001

Reaction score
I don't think there's Any 14 pins connectors on mine

The left-most connector on the front/center amp is a 14-pin. That's the one that gets power in and speaker output out to the tweeters from the deck. The other 2 smaller connecters are for the RCA/Line level in from the stereo, and the line level and amp cut-on for the rear 2 amps.

If I remember reading right, their's one connector in the dash if you're not using the mach system (it's a 8-pin), and the other should be a 14-pin which should be plugged into the amp. If you didn't get the mach system, they had the 8 pin plugged into the back of the non-mach radio (along with the other 8 pin for power and lights, etc), if you had the mach system, they put the amp in the dash, and tucked that 8-pin to the side, and used the 14 pin to the speakers.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes the 8 pin speaker hrns was originally clipped to the pass side inner dash right next to the radio.

heffe2001

Reaction score
That harness (in a mach 460 system), would only connect to the tweeters wouldn't it? Wonder if the previous owner cut some wires somewhere beyond the harness in the dash for some reason, may be why it's not working at the doors and rear like expected.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The wires from the 8-pin big hrns your speakers are wired into goes straight to the tweeters. There is no wire that goes from the dash to the woofers, the speaker wires for those terminate in the back. Its possible that they ran new wires to the speakers or possibly to the kick panels up front and connected in there but you would have seen speaker wire either in the trunk or the back of the dash if they did that. The mach wires come down the drivers side on top of the rear wheel well up to the front and tracing those wires to ensure there are not cuts/terminations on it is the only way to find out for sure.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
So I tested a rear amp and nothing only thing left to try is the front amp and that don't work I'm gonna give up and just install a sub in it

Kickin Ass And Takin Names Using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we need to make sure your rca outputs are good. Do you have a headphone to rca cable and an mp3 player you could use to make sure your sony rca's are good?

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
I probably find a wire some where but arnt they outputs?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes they are outputs but until we confirm they are good its still suspect too me and swapping the source/rcas is easier then tracing that wiring from back to front. again with neither the front or back working its either your source or as you said possibly some previous wiring.

heffe2001

Reaction score
So I tested a rear amp and nothing only thing left to try is the front amp and that don't work I'm gonna give up and just install a sub in it

Could always take my route, install a small 4 channel amp in the front wired into the tweeter wires, then in the doors and rear deck put in a good set of separates with built in crossovers. Wire the speakers crossovers into the tweeter wiring in the door, and you're good to go. Then you get true fading (the woofers on the mach 460 system don't fade front back, the left speakers are hooked up together in one channel, the right in another channel (or is it both fronts on one amp, both rears on another? I just know the rear amps are mono amps, not stereo). Then drop a sub in the trunk for fill in bass, and you're good to go. I ended up putting kicker separates in mine, much better than the stock speakers.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
I was gonna do that if it didn't work but rather try to get it working for now

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure why you would put an amp on the tweeters and run componants off the deck power. I would do just the opposite and there is no issue doing balance or fading on the woofers. They play a mono signal but you can get one woofer to play if you wanted too.

OP
OP
97_281gt

97_281gt

Reaction score
not sure why you would put an amp on the tweeters and run componants off the deck power. I would do just the opposite and there is no issue doing balance or fading on the woofers. They play a mono signal but you can get one woofer to play if you wanted too.

What about hooking up the iPod to out puts how do I test to see if they work?

And if I redo the system I'm gonna do all new.speakers and amps for the.whole thing but I'd like the stock stuff to work for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online