Mach 460 Tweeter pods

joemomma

Reaction score
Do the Mach tweeter pods mount the same as the non-Mach sail panel inserts? I'm wanting to redo my front components and would like to pick up some used Mach tweeter pods if they mount the same. I'm assuming they do but want to make sure before I buy any. Right now I've got the tweeters surface mounted on the sail panel inserts and it bugs me. They aren't deep enough to flush mount the tweeters and I'd like something a bit more subtle.

If anyone has any used ones in good shape laying around they'd like to part with let me know.

EDIT: after poking about on eBay, it seems there is an upper (the actual speaker/grill) and a lower mount. Are both required or can you just use the upper part?

Last edited:

95opal

Reaction score
Do the Mach tweeter pods mount the same as the non-Mach sail panel inserts? I'm wanting to redo my front components and would like to pick up some used Mach tweeter pods if they mount the same. I'm assuming they do but want to make sure before I buy any. Right now I've got the tweeters surface mounted on the sail panel inserts and it bugs me. They aren't deep enough to flush mount the tweeters and I'd like something a bit more subtle.

If anyone has any used ones in good shape laying around they'd like to part with let me know.

EDIT: after poking about on eBay, it seems there is an upper (the actual speaker/grill) and a lower mount. Are both required or can you just use the upper part?
No the actual door panels are different between the mach and non mach cars

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I *THINK* the door panel overall shape is the same. There is a big notch cut in the Mach panel for the tweeter housing to clear. I was going to do this a while back, but I think you can peel the vinyl back and cut the clearance in the panel then glue the vinyl back down and make it look factory.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The very top of the mach door panels is different to allow for the lower part of the enclosure to go under it. How ever the enclosure is made in 2 parts and its not too hard to remove the lower section and only mount the upper and there will be no loss of sound.

badass98svt

Reaction score
As mentioned, it's different.
An idea though:. I've mounted tweeters in behind the heater/AC vents before.
Remove the vent cover.
Grab an old metal speaker grill and drill a hole in it for the size of the tweeter.
Bend /cut the edges of the speaker grill to fit in the heater vent.
Screw the new speaker mount into the heater vent tubing with a couple short screws.
Mount the tweeter, run the speaker wire, and then pop on the heater vent covers when you're all done.
Enjoy your discretely mounted tweets.

I've done this on an SN95, an F350, and an Explorer.

Last edited:

chithead

Reaction score
Added a set to our non Mach car. It wasn't too bad, they do come apart in three pieces - a grille, outer shell (where the speaker attaches), and inner shell (that secures to the door metal):

51116104904_655532884f_c.jpg

There is a nice bit of room between the grille and outer shell to add aftermarket speakers or tweeters:

51120226382_362b1f81c5_c.jpg

The hole is there to secure them already in the sheet metal, but you do need to thread the bolt or screw before trying to attach the pod:

51163988589_dc3cb5ecd3_c.jpg

And this is the part of the panel that requires trimming in order for the pods to fit properly:

51162539152_7d6af62e8b_c.jpg

51163989514_183d9ed262_c.jpg

My panels were junk is the reason I didn't peel back the vinyl as suggested by lwarrior1016 before cutting. The other panels I bought (two tone grey and black from a 95), definitely plan on pulling the vinyl back on those before trimming to get a really nice finished look.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Awesome, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Great pictures as well, thank you! So I don't need the "lower" part for anything if I'm just adding aftermarket tweeters.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Awesome, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Great pictures as well, thank you! So I don't need the "lower" part for anything if I'm just adding aftermarket tweeters.
I am not sure the stock 2.5" speakers "needed" them either but no your tweeters will have NO use for them

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Excellent. When I redid the stereo I went with a cheap set of NVX components up front. I'm regretting that now. With the tweeters that high, you'd better have something that sounds decent. I'm looking for something else.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Excellent. When I redid the stereo I went with a cheap set of NVX components up front. I'm regretting that now. With the tweeters that high, you'd better have something that sounds decent. I'm looking for something else.

Are you running them off a separate amp, and not the radio itself?
The Focals I just installed sound great, are easy to install (in line crossovers, no big box to mount), and they are a reasonable price.

Focal ISU 570 Universal Integration 5x7 2-Way Component Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX9F724/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_6JE097SWNFEGRPJH4K64

chithead

Reaction score
No doubt, those Focal look like a really good option, especially having an inline passive crossover versus requiring the larger module.

If I wasn't already in love with the Image Dynamics XS speakers, Morel Tempo would be my next choice - but they definitely love amplification to really make them shine. But that Morel tweeter sound... yum.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Are you running them off a separate amp, and not the radio itself?
The Focals I just installed sound great, are easy to install (in line crossovers, no big box to mount), and they are a reasonable price.

Focal ISU 570 Universal Integration 5x7 2-Way Component Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX9F724/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_6JE097SWNFEGRPJH4K64
Yeah I'm running them off a 5-channel along with the rears and sub. Someone (Crutchfield maybe?) has the Morel Tempo Ultra on sale for $250. I should probably jump on that. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a budget build lol, but every time I go "budget" on something I end up regretting it.

The NVX coax in the rear are fine, and the 5-channel amp I have from them has been solid as well. The only reason I went with their amp is because I couldn't find another Pioneer like I have in my truck (GM-D9605 I think is the model). The NVX components up front, however, have left me less than impressed. The tweeters are WAAAY too bright/harsh for on-axis enjoyment. They'd likely be fine mounted in a plate in the door, but they're just too much for the sail panel.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can try putting some cloth material in front of the tweeter(behind the grill) to make them a little less harsh.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
you can try putting some cloth material in front of the tweeter(behind the grill) to make them a little less harsh.
That's a good idea - they might be OK after being mounted in the Mach pods as they'll be behind a layer of grill cloth.

chithead

Reaction score
What radio are you using? Could always try cutting some of the upper frequencies if it has a decently adjustable EQ.

On second thought, you should definitely get those Morel Tempo Ultra 572 - that's a steal for the price.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's a good idea - they might be OK after being mounted in the Mach pods as they'll be behind a layer of grill cloth.
true grill cloth itself makes very little difference in the sound but even just some old t-shirt material behind it and you will notice

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
What radio are you using? Could always try cutting some of the upper frequencies if it has a decently adjustable EQ.

On second thought, you should definitely get those Morel Tempo Ultra 572 - that's a steal for the price.
It's an Alpine CDE-172BT. I've tried cutting the treble in the built in EQ but I just can't get it sounding "right". If I cut enough treble to make it not harsh it totally kills the highs. It's just a poor tweeter, honestly. Or, I'm expecting too much from it compared to the JL C2 in my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online