MACH and aftermarket head unit install

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Use the jacks marked front.
I'm assuming you say to use the fronts based on the below info?

My Kenwood install guide says:

For 3-way crossover*6:
REAR: Tweeter preouts
FRONT: Mid-range speaker preouts
SW: Woofer preouts

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
each corner of the mach system consists of a 2.5" tweeter and a 5 x 7 " woofer. But with that being said, the mach amps are known to become battery drains that do not turn off at some point and the stock speakers were ok when they were new but 20 yrs later they are not all that ok anymore. Because of this I recommend that you install new 5 x 7 in full range speakers at the same time.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Ok, I don't plan on doing anything with the speakers. That being said, where do I plug the RCAs in? This is what is confusing...everyone says something different, based on their specific install. I simply plan on installing the new headunit, without modification to the existing speakers. Where do I plug the RCAs into?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are a few different ways to do it depending on what harness you have. Some use the rcas and some do not. Can you give a link to the harness your using or take a pic of it?

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
there are a few different ways to do it depending on what harness you have. Some use the rcas and some do not. Can you give a link to the harness your using or take a pic of it?

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's what I got:
Kenwood Excelon DDX396
Metra 70-5701 Receiver Wiring Harness
Axxess AFDI-5V

I know how to wire everything up. I've done a dozen double din stereo installs, and several on Mustangs. I just am not sure where to put the 2x RCAs plugs off the Metra harness. The installation guide says to plug them into the subwoofer preout, but with the Mach 460 system, I don't have a subwoofer. So, what's the best option here? Or do I even need to plug them in??

I've attached the PDF Metra wiring harness installation instructions.

Attachments

• Metra harness install.PDF
    105.3 KB · Views: 4

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will need to switch the outputs on the deck over to a regular full range rca output since your not running a 3 way system. There should be something in the manual about how to switch it.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Here's where the Kenwood installation manual talks about 2-way vs 3-way. So, you're saying I need to make sure I switch the headunit to a 3-way input, then connect the RCA's to the front preouts?

Attachments

• crossover doc.pdf
    317.7 KB · Views: 2

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
And here's a page that talks about the inputs to the headunit. See where it references the 3-way crossover, and plugging the RCA's into the rear, front, or sub.

Attachments

• headunit rear hookups.pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 2

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure how to walk you through the decks features. Plug the rca's into the outputs labeled "front" and then you can select the speaker size 5 x 7 and then you will want to select a full range output meaning no cross over. There is a good chance that it might not sound as loud as before because the ford/jbl decks used a little hotter rca signal than most aftermarket decks did. If that is the case I have a solution but it does cost a few bucks.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
I am not sure how to walk you through the decks features. Plug the rca's into the outputs labeled "front" and then you can select the speaker size 5 x 7 and then you will want to select a full range output meaning no cross over. There is a good chance that it might not sound as loud as before because the ford/jbl decks used a little hotter rca signal than most aftermarket decks did. If that is the case I have a solution but it does cost a few bucks.

I can mess with the headunit features. That's not a problem. This is the 3rd Kenwood DDX I've installed. I'm very familiar. I just want to make sure I hook the RCAs up correctly so I don't have to pull the radio out again at a later time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You should be fine going to either the front or rear. Either of those should have the option to play full range but I would hit the front myself, and then test it out before everything is put back together completely.

Overboost

Reaction score
I put a single DIN in my 98 with a mach system. worked great but just didn't sound as good as the factory system. something in the head unit that just harmonizes with the entire system. it may not be the best out there but for what it comes with, it sounds good...
until you roll down windows or god forbid put the top down...
then just turn it off. its useless..
I got me one of those JBL partybox 300 bluetooth speakers and put in the back seat area... sounds amazing and didn't have to change my car at all. if I hit a car show, I can take it out or leave it, depending on the environment.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
I plugged the RCAs into the "front" preouts and everything seems to be working properly. Thanks for the help fellas!

Attachments

• IMG_7158.JPG
    IMG_7158.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7159.JPG
    IMG_7159.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member