Machined wheel refinishing?

Ineedav8

Reaction score
As it says the clear in my machined lips anthracite fr500s is ate up and some curb rash is it possible to strip the clear without damaging whats left of the finish Im thinking of filling and blending the lip as its a staggered lip money is a big factor and id rather do it from home

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Sand it to bare metal and reclear it, or take it somewhere and have it done professionally.

I'll be doing that soon with my machined cobras.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
They only way to fix curb rash is by welding and grinding it back down smooth. If you have to get it done professionally it may just be cheaper to buy a new wheel.

heffe2001

Reaction score
I was doing this on a set of bullitts, used some paint stripper (gell type that stays where you brush it) to get rid of the clear on the machined lip (all the way down to the anthracite color), and hand sanded the rash. Ended up being WAAAAY more work than I was willing to put in it, but the one wheel I finished the lip of looked good from a few feet (in close you could tell where it wasn't rounded perfectly and had been sanded down). I ended up using some Mothers polish on that one and it had way more bling than the other 3 wheels and their 10+ year old machined lips, lol. You can do it, but it's a lot of work..

Best way though would be to have it done professionally, but with what these wheels cost new, you'd likely be better off..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online