main Bearing Question

shawdaddy1972

Reaction score
97 Cobra.. with a spun main bearing...Has a loud "Knocking" noise.. Not present at idle, but rev it up and there it is..gets faster as the rpm's increase as well. So I believe it to be a main or rod bearing. I know my way around a 5.0 very well....BUUUUT the 4.6 CObra..not really...Can I replace them in my driveway? Do I need to pull the engine complety out to change em or jus raise it up a little so the oil pan clears the cross member? I think I remember seeint that the Cobra has a K-member.....or can I jus drop the K-mamber and replace em? Thanks guys for any help :)

95-stang

Reaction score
Mains is usually a heavy vibe and rumble lower down, usually a loss of pressure, big ends are more of a knock and also a drop in oil pressure.
You might have to jack the engine up to get the sump off [not done an sn95 as yet] but if the bearings spun or really shagged, unless your lucky, or your selling it, in my experience new shells will not last long without a crank regrind.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
95-stang said:
Mains is usually a heavy vibe and rumble lower down, usually a loss of pressure, big ends are more of a knock and also a drop in oil pressure.
You might have to jack the engine up to get the sump off [not done an sn95 as yet] but if the bearings spun or really shagged, unless your lucky, or your selling it, in my experience new shells will not last long without a crank regrind.

+1
If you have a spun main or rod bearing you need to have the crank cut. If you don't it will become a recurring problem, or you will not have proper oil presure and cause bigger problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar