Manual Brake Conversion MC Sizing

JKady

Reaction score
Looking to convert my '95 to manual brakes in an effort to shed weight and simplify the engine bay (And my booster is on its way out) but having trouble coming up with the correct MC size for my setup. Running Cobra front brakes and GT rears. E-mailed Maximum Motorsports and they have been less than helpful, basically telling me there isn't one that will work for me and to either convert to Cobra rear brakes or go back to GT fronts. I can't be the only one running this brake setup, so there must be something that works, but which one? I know the SKRC kits use a 1 1/8 master but they don't specify what brake they designed around, and I know their products are more drag race oriented and this is a street/canyon car.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure @opal is running a willwood set up and he will say to look in his build to see it.

RichV

Reaction score
You're definitely not the only one running a half assed setup. But their advice is correct, either go full Cobra or stay GT so the braking system is balanced. I'm sure that's what they communicated with you. Then use the correct MC for the job.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Their advice may be correct but the cost vs. gain on cobra rears just doesn't seem to be there like it is with the Cobra front brakes. Car works GREAT now with the stock MC, so with all the adjustability in the MM kit as far as pedal ratio I really don't see how there isn't an MC that will work with this combo.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION], why would you need to switch to cobra rears? The only difference is the rotor size and caliper bracket, the caliper itself is the same as far as I know (part numbers are the same)

RichV

Reaction score
Yes, caliper is the same. Rotor is larger, there fore it has a different clamping force being further from the hub. Also the MC needs to be correct for the system as a whole.

I did the Cobra upgrade at all 4 corners without the MC and the pedal feel was less than desired on track. Street may be a different opinion, but I had no feel for threshold braking. The pedal was soft, and you'd squeeze the brakes expecting a harder pedal, but it stayed soft. And you're locked up, just felt off. Again, street manners are different because you never want to brake hard just before lockup. Plus, I can't run ABS, so with ABS enabled it may have a different feel. But the pedal is like stepping into dogshit.

95opal

Reaction score
pretty sure @opal is running a willwood set up and he will say to look in his build to see it.

lol scott that wont help him hes running a much smaller brake set up totally different bore size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online