Manual fan switch idea.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I put my 170 t stat in for warmer weather and it runs at the r and o on the stock gauge while driving. Sitting in traffic the fan won't come on until it's a little over the stock running temp. What is it? 210*? I want to keep her cooler.

I'm going to install the switch mod, but with a spring loaded 3 way switch. (The ones that you have to hold or they spring back to 'off'). I want to have high speed on one side of the switch and low speed on the other.

I've heard of a few people after doing the regular switch mod wearing fans out from forgetting to turn them off.

So instead of being able to leave it on I'd just have to hold it for a min. I really only want it for staging lanes and heavy traffic in the summer. But I think it's a good idea.

Thoughts?

Anyone know where I can find the wire I'd have to tap for low speed fan? I hope it's a ground circuit like the high speed.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMO 170* is too low for daily driver status and will probably run hotter because of it. Reason you ask; the coolant isn't spending long enough in the radiator to remove enough heat. Also the computer will see the cooler temp and richen up the mixture. 180* is the lowest I'd go.

Fan wiring: your Haynes manual has a wiring diagram for the wires controlling the fan.
You'll also need a relay to control the fans. They pull to much current to run them directly through the switch.
Momemtary sw is a waste also. Manually holding the switch just for a few seconds when your in traffic or staging lanes isn't going to do anything for your coolant temps.
If you afraid of leaving them on then have them wired to the ignition so when the key is off the fans are off, or have an indicator on the dash to remind you the fan is on.
You can have a tuner adjust the temp that the fans come on/off at. And get a real water temp gage so you KNOW what the actual temp is.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Could always invest a small amount of cash into a chip to tune the car, and have the fan temps adjusted at the same time.

A little bit of extra horsepower is always nice.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

95opal

Reaction score
pin 14 and pin 17 from the ccrm is what you want for the low and high speed fan.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Could always invest a small amount of cash into a chip to tune the car, and have the fan temps adjusted at the same time.

A little bit of extra horsepower is always nice.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

Yea I was using my sct tuner to adjust the fan but recently sold the tuner to get a diablo. I'll just wait for that since there have been some good points made in this thread. I'm also going to switch to a 180. It seems to run great with the 170 but I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
IMO 170* is too low for daily driver status and will probably run hotter because of it. Reason you ask; the coolant isn't spending long enough in the radiator to remove enough heat. Also the computer will see the cooler temp and richen up the mixture. 180* is the lowest I'd go.

Fan wiring: your Haynes manual has a wiring diagram for the wires controlling the fan.
You'll also need a relay to control the fans. They pull to much current to run them directly through the switch.
Momemtary sw is a waste also. Manually holding the switch just for a few seconds when your in traffic or staging lanes isn't going to do anything for your coolant temps.
If you afraid of leaving them on then have them wired to the ignition so when the key is off the fans are off, or have an indicator on the dash to remind you the fan is on.
You can have a tuner adjust the temp that the fans come on/off at. And get a real water temp gage so you KNOW what the actual temp is.

Good points. I'll be picking up a 180 today. I'm still learning computer management. The fan wasn't an issue when I had my tuner and I could keep the car right around 180 in traffic. Thanks for the input.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
If your worried about the fan being left on (kind of hard to miss it when the engine is off and you hear a hurricane under the hood) ... look and wire the fan to a KOEO (key off engine off) switch so even if it is left in the on position....... it can be shut off.... I personall use this switch with LED so i can tell if the fan, water pump ect is left on....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arc-4000f8?seid=srese1&gclid=CNT-jMnTq70CFWZo7AodDxoA9A

[video=youtube;XAxpsVLJvoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAxpsVLJvoo[/video]

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Get a derale adjustable fan controller from Summit racing . You can wire right into the original fan that's on the radiator and adjust it to come on when you want by turn of a screw . It's like 30 bucks comes with wiring and fuse and all . Cool product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online