Manual fan switches, Install

CManT1914

Reaction score
Here's a writeup I did when I installed some manual fan switches a few months back. The original thread can be found here: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=551641

low-speed fan switch:

A good spot for the switche(s) is in front of the shifter in the bezel, a good amount of room behind there, and you have a ground and 12V source right there (power point). Another good spot, although I would recommend it only for coupes, is in front of the center console, above the foglight switch (and convertible switch if applicable). I wouldn't recommend using this as a spot for a vert however, because the only good close 12V source is the 'vert harness, and vert guys are using this. And if you're like me, then you already have your foglights wired into this also. The fan might be to big of a load for this single wire.

For the switch, you can use a 3-way toggle switch (for high and low-speed on one switch) or use 2 different rocker switches. If you use a 3-way, hook up the wire from the Pin 14 to one terminal, Pin 17 to the other, and then of course a ground (according to the write-up in 94/95 FAQ section, I'm not positive on this, as I used two seperate rocker switches). For the 2 individual rocker switches, on the low-speed fan switch, hook a 12V source (preferably ignition-hot only) (or use the one for the power point, it's constant hot but that's okay) to the power terminal, a good ground (like the one for the power point in front of the shifter) to the ground terminal, and run a wire from the accessories terminal to Pin 14 on the CCRM (dark blue wire). I'm not exactly sure how the high-speed fan hooks up yet, I haven't wired it. But I think you're supposed to run the ground to the power terminal on the switch, then the wire from Pin 17 to the accessories terminal, and I guess the 12V lead goes on the ground terminal. I will verify this information tomorrow hopefully.

I would not recommend using the power point while you have one of the switches turned on, it might be to heavy of a load for it. Better now risk it. If anybody wants more pictures, let me know tonight or early in the morning, cus I can take more tomorrow while I'm wiring the high-speed switch. If anybody is thinking about doing this, don't be afraid!! I was a little unsure of doing this since I'm not very good at electrical stuff, but it was SUPER easy! If you can wire gauges, you can sure as hell do this, lol. Let me know if you need some more tips, I'll be glad to help.

And the high-speed fan switch

Here's how to do it. Run a wire from Pin 17 on the CCRM (it's green with a purple stripe) to your accessories terminal on the switch. Now here's the trick. Run a wire from a 12V source (you'll really want key-hot only on this one) to your GROUND terminal on the switch. If you have a lighted switch (like the kind with the LED in them) then run a ground wire to the POWER terminal on the switch. Don't ask me why the high-speed fan works like this, I'm really not sure. But the reason you want a key-hot only lead is because I wired mine to my power point right there in the bezel (constant hot). It's not problem for the low-speed switch, but now when the car is off, the high-speed switch will light up faintly. When I start the car (or just have the key in the "on" position), it will go off. So it would be best to have it wired to a key-hot source, but I can live with a switch being partially lit (I say partially, cus it glows real faintly when the car is off, not as bright as when you actually flip the switch :shrug:) when the car is parked.

When running two seperate switches for low and high speed settings, you will probably want to turn on the low-speed fan first. Then you can flip the high-speed fan on, it's probably easier on the fan that way. But here's the catch, with BOTH switches flipped, the high-speed fan doesn't run at high-speed. For some reason, it runs at medium speed. :scratch: I don't know, but when I turn the low-speed switch off, then it kicks up even further to high-speed. lol

Definitely a worthwhile mod, since it only cost me $12 ($6 for the switches and $6 for the in-line fuses). Now I run at a steady 180-185* while driving. It actually dipped below 180* earlier on my way to work. Just ask if you need pics or more info.

Here's the switches mounted:
516441_106_full.jpg

Here's what I run at with the high-speed fan on (before my heads/cam).
516441_105_full.jpg

Peter

Reaction score
Re: How-to: Manual fan switches

good article + pics

badass98svt

Reaction score

i've been looking to do that to my car. but i'm afraid to go near the ECU.

the other write ups i've seen only used one switch. and it was just to turn the fan on manually. not for hi speed/low speed.

HISSIN50

Reaction score

One switch for both speeds wont work (low = switched 12 volts; high = ground).

The fans will last a lot longer if the low speed is used first (the fans are not designed to go from off to high speed in one burst).

Low speed should be adequate for most folks.

And having both speeds engaged at the same time leads to weird results, like Chris noted. It also shortens the motor's life.

OP
OP
C

CManT1914

Reaction score

That will work just fine. I used a three wire setup because my switches light up, hence the extra 12v power lead. I also made two switches, one for low speed, the other for high speed. He just made a high speed.

UrBaN96

Reaction score

do they make a 3 way switch and would that work... off -> low -> high

hmm...

HISSIN50

Reaction score

UrBaN96 said:
do they make a 3 way switch and would that work... off -> low -> high

hmm...

Yes they do. But make sure both speeds' input is of the same polarity (in the 94'95's, one cannot use one switch for low and high speed).

NITROUSINJECTED

Reaction score

learned how to do that the hard way when my fan quit working i just hot wired it to a fuse and drove it home to enid with my fan running the whole time

Blown97Cobra

Reaction score

Nice write up. I did the samething about 2yrs ago and put the switch in the little coin tray. Came out MINT :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.