Mass Air Flow/Vane Air Flow Sensor Circuit Above Maximum Voltage (O,M,R) Causing CEL

Rob95DFW

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1995 Mustang GT with the following mods:

E Cam
Longtubes
Mac Prochamber
SLP Dumps
CAI
C&L 76mm MAF (Calibrated for 19lb Injectors)
No Smog Pump
All EGR is in place and hooked up

Everything else is stock. However, I am getting a 56 - Mass Air Flow/Vane Air Flow Sensor Circuit Above Maximum Voltage (O,M,R) code and I don't know what I need to do to get it resolved.

I have cleaned the MAF, replaced IAC (AutoZone part), replaced all vacuum lines, replaced EGR gasket and cleaned it, replaced TB/Upper Intake Manifold gasket.

When I replaced the IAC, the car began to have a hang idle issue as well. When I shift gears, the idle increseases 300 - 400 RPM and then will fall down. When I come to a complete stop the car will idle about 1100 RPM and eventually fall down.

I don't know what else to do with this. If I run the car, the CEL will illuminate, but if I turn the car off and re-start it, the CEl is off for a few minutes and then comes back on.

Any help would be appreciated!

Robert
1995 Mustang GT 5.0

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would try replacing the maf and see if it clears it up. Double check the wiring going to it so ensure there is no bare copper showing or loose wires.

Addermk2

Reaction score
94-95_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Disconnect the main ECU harness and the maf harness plugs. Check continuity at each end of pins 9 and 50. While both ends are disconnected, turn the key on, and look for voltage on pins 9 and 50. Also check the voltage on the red wire in the MAF harness.

Assuming your car does not have a tune. The 56 code you are getting it set by the ECM triggering PID VMAMAX. Basically either pins 9 or 50 are seeing more than 4.9vdc at a given time.

OP
OP
R

Rob95DFW

Reaction score
If they are getting more than 4.9 how do you fix that?

toyman

Reaction score
How can a '95 get a 2 digit code (56)? They are all 3 digits. MAF codes for the '94-'95 are 157, 158 and 159.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online