Massive crumbly tire particles left by drag radials

Ronin

Reaction score
So I drove the Mustang home today from the tire shop after getting my BFG G-Force's installed, and was messing around. I gathered from my experience (and a bit of research), that my traction isn't going to be any better than the street tires I've been using until they've gotten their proper water box warm up.

What I wasn't expecting was what happened when I did a quick burnout in my driveway... (granted this is on concrete) but no long black tire marks, just long black piles of crumbly dust. Is this just to be expected given where I was burning out, or is this just normal behavior for breaking in DRs? Or worse...did they sell me tires that were very old and they're not going to stand up to what I need them to? If this is the result of sitting in a warehouse for a few years I need to know so I can go back and bitch.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2573626590101914293EOgbPl

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

Reaction score
2010...I guess that's not old, but again, I don't know DRs.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
how cold is it outside? 2010 is older for drag radials. if done right, there should be a smoking pile of steam as evidenced from my burnout with mickey thompsons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TEIDsWOwA0&feature=player_embedded

I wanna do that. On topic though, just from my past experience with BFG I would never buy their tires again. They started to deteriorate after only owning them for one year with limited driving. I've had the same Pirellis on my car for 3 years almost and have yet to see any breakdown of the tire (minus the tread wear of course).

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
No tires last one year for me fronts do.. As for Mickey thompsons my friend did a cooker on the street with his street car coupe and it let on fire after so cool I should find the vid

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Yea i know a guy that had a set roughly 3 years old at the time and they did that, and hardly smoked and at the track they hooked but not was well as they should. Not saying your tires are trash but the temp outside might have had somthing to do with it.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

Reaction score
it was between 60 and 70 when I did that. I'm going to the track on Saturday, we'll see how things go.

98rocket

Reaction score
How do the tires look? If theres nothing visibly wrong with them then I wouldn't worry, and if they look fine. Have fun at the track and let us know how they did..GL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.