Max Number of Keys PATS

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
I have a 98 mustang with PATS II. I currently have three keys, one original Ford key, and two aftermarket keys from locksmiths. All of them have had a fair bit of abuse in the original Ford key doesn’t even have the loop to put on the key ring anymore. I bought three more original NOS Ford keys online and will have them cut in a locksmith this week. As of right now, there should only be four keys programmed to the car, the three in my possession and the one MIA original key that seems to be lost in the wind long before I bought the car. Assuming that no other keys have been programmed, I’ll have no issue programming these three new keys myself. However, if that’s not the case, I know that there is a max of eight keys allowed to be programmed. After I have reached eight, does it automatically start to erase the oldest keys in the system or will I have to pay a locksmith to reset the whole system? Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
That is an interesting question and I’ll have to research this to answer it properly.
I might be able to save you some time. What I did was use Forscan to enter PATS programming. It makes you wait about 12 minutes before being able to make changes. At that point, I erased all keys and (while still in programming) I was able to reprogram two keys to the vehicle. Once that was completed, it is simple to reprogram or program keys to the car, up to 8. If at least two keys are programmed to the car, (1) insert working key #1 into ignition, turn to on position then to off position. (2) follow step 1 with second key. (3) follow step 1 with new keys. That’s how I did it and now all of the keys in my possession are programmed to PATS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online