mcglsr's 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We recently added another vehicle to our garage: a 1999 4Runner Limited. It was the father-in-law's truck. He ended up buying a new Explorer and didn't really want to sell the 4Runner. Asked us if we wanted it, and we said "hells yah." So. Now we haz it. It's got a touch over 200K miles on it, and the father-in-law is the original owner. He also did his due diligence on maintenance, and kept records. So apart from some maintenance stuff that I will get into in a bit, this truck is pretty damn solid.

The *only* complaint I have - and this is minor - is that it's 2WD. I wish it were 4WD instead. But it's not. Welcome to Florida. Where it's flat. And doesn't snow. Ever. Anyway, I can totally live with it being 2WD. It can still tow stuff, and still fit big(ger) things in the rear than any of our cars....so welcome to the family!

It's a Limited, so it's pretty much got everything that came on these trucks in 1999 (with the exception of the aforementioned 4WD and related electronic rear locking diff). We really don't plan on doing too much to it - I'd rather dump the money into the Mustang. So the work we have here are some basic things plus some much need upgrades. But before we get to that, some pics of it as we received it:

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

This thing is as stock as stock can be.

Alright, so issues. Truth be told: not many. Not many at all. The biggest issue is the suspension. It, frankly, rides like shit. Out of all the 3rd generation 4Runners, the 99 has what are called "tall springs." Of the 3rd gen, only the 99 has springs that provide an extra inch of lift. The father-in-law had some new struts & shocks put on a little while back, and I guess the shop that did the work used the cheapest ones they could (and reused the shot rubber bushings in the shock hats, way to cheap out and do a sub-par job, jerks). My guess is that they couldn't really handle the 99 tall springs, and now the truck bounces all over the place because the struts & shocks aren't really doing their job.

Sooooooooooo. Time for new ones, yay! I also decided that, while the 99 has the "desirable" springs, after 200K+ miles, they are probably sagging a bit. Along with the struts/shocks, I got new springs as well.

Other projects include: swapping out the interior lights for LEDs, replacing all the suspension bushings and body mount bushings with poly ones, updating the audio, and new wheels and tires.

I also had to get a larger jack (my current one is "only" a 2 ton - I wanted a 3 ton) and a pair of 6 ton jack stands, as I only have 3 ton ones currently:

IMG_6154.jpg

Coming in the next several posts will be progress as it is made!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Oh yea! Thats nice. Sure dont look 200k miles.

I could get my family in that one if it has 3rd row.

All them 4runners squat in the rear. Guy I knew had an original 20k mile '85 4runner that he wiped daily with a cotton diaper....it squated in the rear.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I started first by cleaning out the interior. It was actually pretty dirty, went through 2 microfiber towels and they were pretty nasty afterwards. I still need to do a full detail job once I get all the work done, but I wanted it somewhat clean before ripping the interior apart to do the audio.

For the audio, I have:
  • Kenwood DDX773BH double din touchscreen head unit
  • Parking brake bypass
  • Coolint CT-107B rear camera
  • Rockford Fosgate Prime R600X5 5-channel amplifier
  • Rockford Fosgate 4AWG amp install kit
  • Rockford Fosgate P1S2-10 2 Ohm 10" subwoofer
  • Sound Ordinance sealed sub box
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch P165SI 6.5" component speakers with built-in crossovers for the tweeters
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch P152 5.25" coax speakers
  • Rockford Fosgate 6' RCA cables (3 sets)
  • Stinger Speed wire (left over from STI audio install)
  • Speaker adapters, and an antenna y-cable so the front and rear antennas can plug into the single socket on the aftermarket head unit
  • Car Speaker Adapters for front and rear door install
  • Speaker baffles and speaker wire for subwoofer from Crutchfield

And maybe some other things I am forgetting. This is very similar to the audio install I did on the STI. It's all pretty straight forward. I opted for a less powerful amplifier as the stock alternator on the 4Runner is a 70Amp unit I believe. The amplifier is pushing out 50 Watts to each front and rear speaker, and 300 Watts to the sub in the rear. I used the calculation I posted on the STI audio install to make sure the truck could safely support the amplifier I chose (which it can).

I won't get into the details too much, but rather just post pics. Oh - on a happy note, the tweeters fit *perfectly.* I did not need to modify anything at all for them to fit. Which was nice ;) Also, the truck had a 6-disc CD changer under the passenger seat stock, and a factory amp mounted behind the factory radio. Both the factory radio and factory amp have been removed, along with the 6-disc changer.

The passenger seat removed, and 6-disc changer visible:

IMG_6153.jpg

I opted to run the amplifier power wire through a hole I drilled in the firewall next to the brake booster. If the truck were a manual, this is where the clutch linkage stuffs would have been installed - as it's an automatic, this area is instead prime real-estate ;) I also used a firewall grommet specifically for passing amp cable through firewalls - it worked fantastically. Made by Stinger, I believe.

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6166.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

I grounded the amplifier along the little rail thing that the front seat bolts to. I drilled a hole and cleared the paint away to ensure a solid connection (and also used a star washer on the bolt):

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

Here you can see the speed wire (blue thicker looking cable) and 3 sets of RCA cables:

IMG_6176.jpg

And the wires feeding the amp...

IMG_6177.jpg

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yea! Thats nice. Sure dont look 200k miles.

I could get my family in that one if it has 3rd row.

All them 4runners squat in the rear. Guy I knew had an original 20k mile '85 4runner that he wiped daily with a cotton diaper....it squated in the rear.

Yes, 'tis true. A lot do squat in the rear. .....and if I did my job/research right, the struts/shocks and springs I have should remedy that - even with a load in the rear ;)

Edit: oh, and alas...no rear 3rd row. Just the two rows. The new 2016 Explorer my father-in-law got, however... Platinum. Electronically controlled rear 3rd row. Now *that* is a nice truck :)

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Starting the wiring of the rear camera - this will take a bit of time to wrap up. I'm running the video feed (and integrated power wire) to the rear hatch along the driver side. More on this later.

IMG_6174.jpg

I also installed the speakers into the front doors:

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

The new tweeter, mounted in the same location as the stock - even using the stock bracket:

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6185.jpg

And the woofer location, using the car speaker adapters:

IMG_6196.jpg

IMG_6197.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

And the rears:

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

The speaker adapter - because I used longer screws to attach the speaker, I actually had to drill two clearance holes on the bottom two mounting locations because the speaker screws hit the body. If one were to use shorter screws, this is probably not necessary.

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

And that's the speakers done!

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I also started on the suspension - fronts first. As for parts, I decided on Bilstein 5100 struts for the front, and Bilstein 5100 shocks for the rear. Springs are Old Man Emu (OME) - 881's for the front, and 906's for the rear. For a non-99 3rd gen (in other words, *not* the tall springs) this results in about a 2" lift above stock height. Since this guy does have the tall springs, it should result in about a 1" lift - which is perfect. I didn't really want to lift the truck too much as it would add stress to suspension and CV bits that are just not necessary for us. Plus, it's already plenty tall. These springs can ride fairly rough, but supposedly the Bilstein 5100's do an excellent job of keeping them in check. So we will see.

Oh, I also replaced the lower ball joints on both sides - these are known to catastrophically fail. So, not taking any chances. Installed new Toyota OEM ones.

Removed the stock strut/spring:

IMG_6233.jpg

The stock strut/spring next to the new Bilstein 5100/OME 881:

IMG_6235.jpg

And installed:

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

Both sides of the front are done, moving to the rear soon.

Here are the bushings getting installed: front sway bar polys, steering rack polys (there's a terrible vibration in the steering wheel), a full body mount replacement kit, rear sway bar polys, rear bump stop polys, and rear track arm polys:

IMG_6238.jpg

I don't have pics yet, but the front sway bar polys are installed, and currently working on the steering rack ploys.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and I already had new wheels and tires put on, but don't have any good pics. I took a quick one while it's being worked on in the garage - I'll take a bunch more once I pull it out of the garage:

IMG_6240.jpg

(NOTE: the front of the truck is on jack stands, which is why the rear gap there is so huge - that is not due to any lift or suspension)

The stock wheels (as seen in the original post) are 16" Toyota wheels, on 265/70-16 tires. These new ones are FN Wheels (Konig Six Shooters) 17x8. The tires are Pathfinder All Terrain 265/65-17; kind of a faux off-road tire. This truck is 2WD, so really won't be going off road. Like ever. So on-road tires are preferable. I wanted something that looked a little bit aggressive, but has excellent on-road manners both wet and dry. These guys seem to fit the bill, and are affordable ;) Apparently, they are made specifically for Discount Tire - actually made by Hankook or Kumho I think, I can't remember which. Anyway, I've driven the truck a bit with them on, and they seem to do just fine so far. We'll see. More pics to come later.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I keep forgetting where you live. I was like how the hell is this thing so clean.... cuz no snow.
Looks great! I like these, they hold their value like crazy and seem to never die.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a really good truck. You do good work. Hang out with me more lol

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I keep forgetting where you live. I was like how the hell is this thing so clean.... cuz no snow.
Looks great! I like these, they hold their value like crazy and seem to never die.

Thanks! Yah, no salt nor snow. Though, to be honest, I think the dad did move around with it quite a bit. Might have had it in Colorado for a while, I'm actually not sure. I should ask ;) But it spent most if its life in Florida, which is a main contributor to its cleanness for sure. And I've heard that about these trucks as well - it's the V6 engine, and apparently as long as you maintain them (which he has done) they just last forever.

Definitely a really good truck. You do good work. Hang out with me more lol

Thanks! And yes, I need to :( I want to and I need to :(

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get with me and you can probably help with the TA/PHB stuff I'll have going on here soon. Was supposed to get started tonight but I wasn't able to :(

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get with me and you can probably help with the TA/PHB stuff I'll have going on here soon. Was supposed to get started tonight but I wasn't able to :(

I am super incredibly interested in Torque Arm-i-ness. Invite please. Though I will say, I am completely booked this weekend :(

My jack is bigger than yours.

And no centercaps?

...soooo this is a jacking contest? Mine has Rapid Pump and goes up faster...? lol ;)

Yah, those are the center caps. They are actually flat.

Oh ya, limo tint and this thing is good to go.

Yah, the tint on the rear windows and black glass is actually pretty dark, but there's almost no tint on the front door windows. I was planning on taking it to the tint shop and having them put on front door window tint to match the rears....

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice score! I love older Toyota trucks. My 88 4wd extra cab has 232,000 miles on it and is my DD. The 3.4 is a great motor and you can't go wrong with OME suspension.

Keith5.0

Reaction score
I've been waiting on one of these to fall through the dealership on trade... also, I can hook you up on Toyota parts... just sayin....

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, did more work on the truck. I replaced the bushings for the steering rack and front sway bar:

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

Also, replaced the bushings in the track arm (a.k.a panhard bar):

IMG_6245.jpg

Annnnnnnnd swapped out the rear shocks and springs - the new rears are Bilstein 5100 shocks and OME 906 springs:

IMG_6246.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

And installed new bushings on the rear sway bar:

IMG_6248.jpg

The truck is.....taller now. It's was supposed to result in about a 1" lift. It looks...like more than that. It hasn't settled yet, nor even been driven. I will snap some pics once I get it out of the garage and get an alignment done. But it's certainly taller than it was. I think I like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online