Metal spinning sound in engine bay, what gives?

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Lately, my car has been making this metal whistle sound in the engine bay. And when I kill the motor, it spins for a couple seconds more and ends. It sounds circler, and like metal rubbing. Tomorrow, morning my wife and I are gonna try to find it togather, but I'd like some, some narrowing of the problem. Another thing, is the pulley at the bottom directly connected to the crank?

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
The metal amost makes a slight whistle sound, and when I kill the motor its the last thing I hear. 2 seconds of spinning, I looked and I can't see it externally. This isnt the sound of a Main bearing is it? Maybe a bearing behind a pulley?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
probably a pulley, try shooting some penetrating oil benind into where the bearing is.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
does it make like a bird chirping sound almost? That is what my idler pulley did before i changed it.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Some times it gets to that sound yes. If it is that, what can it be replaced with? after market underdrive pullies?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
spray your pully's that add tension to your drive belt. If its them they only cost like $12 from Ford to replace.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Well, I drove my car today, after spraying lubr fluid on pullies. After 40 mins of driving I smell this plastic burning odor. Then look at my temp gauge and see im damn near pinged on the hot side. I pull over and look at my coolent level. Couldnt tell so I gentle opened it releasing pressure, next thing you know its pooring hot antifreeze out of the cap while its still on. As if the water pump was pulling it to the engine, my fan was also smoking (i figure thats what was burning), and I did a test.

I let the car cool, and turned it on. No fan, but thats ok it was cold, so I figure the fan always kicks on when u turn the ac on. I turn the AC on and the fan tried to turn but wouldnt even spin, like it seezed up. So, I figure my fan just took a shit. Ford dealer makes u buy the complete set too. Fan radiator, and resoiver (cant spell). for over 400 bucks, so im gonna go to a salvage yard and try to find a fan.

Now im gonna test tomorrow if the water pump is bad, i'm unplug it where ti send it back to the radiator, and see if it send plenty of water back to it when it warms up, if not i'll know the water pump is shot.

All and all this sucks, I'm still gonna start my morning putting flashing on my roof of my house were its been leaking, fuck my car for right now.

jgsmuzzy

Reaction score
The fan is the easy job to replace. I shouldn't think that there is a problem with the pump as well. Good luck

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well its a good time to upgrade water pumps. Ford revised them in 99 so the newer one work better. They don't cavitate as easy. Casey what year is your mustang again?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online