Metal spinning sound in engine bay, what gives?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by caseypayne69, Jul 30, 2006.

1. caseypayne69

caseypayne69 Active Member

Lately, my car has been making this metal whistle sound in the engine bay. And when I kill the motor, it spins for a couple seconds more and ends. It sounds circler, and like metal rubbing. Tomorrow, morning my wife and I are gonna try to find it togather, but I'd like some, some narrowing of the problem. Another thing, is the pulley at the bottom directly connected to the crank?

2. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

Might be a tensioner or pulley problem does it sound kinda like marbles rolling around?

3. caseypayne69

The metal amost makes a slight whistle sound, and when I kill the motor its the last thing I hear. 2 seconds of spinning, I looked and I can't see it externally. This isnt the sound of a Main bearing is it? Maybe a bearing behind a pulley?

4. Dalamar

Dalamar Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

probably a pulley, try shooting some penetrating oil benind into where the bearing is.

5. caseypayne69

ok :police:

6. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

does it make like a bird chirping sound almost? That is what my idler pulley did before i changed it.

7. caseypayne69

Some times it gets to that sound yes. If it is that, what can it be replaced with? after market underdrive pullies?

8. DropTopPony

spray your pully's that add tension to your drive belt. If its them they only cost like $12 from Ford to replace.

9. caseypayne69

Well, I drove my car today, after spraying lubr fluid on pullies. After 40 mins of driving I smell this plastic burning odor. Then look at my temp gauge and see im damn near pinged on the hot side. I pull over and look at my coolent level. Couldnt tell so I gentle opened it releasing pressure, next thing you know its pooring hot antifreeze out of the cap while its still on. As if the water pump was pulling it to the engine, my fan was also smoking (i figure thats what was burning), and I did a test.

I let the car cool, and turned it on. No fan, but thats ok it was cold, so I figure the fan always kicks on when u turn the ac on. I turn the AC on and the fan tried to turn but wouldnt even spin, like it seezed up. So, I figure my fan just took a shit. Ford dealer makes u buy the complete set too. Fan radiator, and resoiver (cant spell). for over 400 bucks, so im gonna go to a salvage yard and try to find a fan.

Now im gonna test tomorrow if the water pump is bad, i'm unplug it where ti send it back to the radiator, and see if it send plenty of water back to it when it warms up, if not i'll know the water pump is shot.

All and all this sucks, I'm still gonna start my morning putting flashing on my roof of my house were its been leaking, fuck my car for right now.

10. jgsmuzzy

jgsmuzzy New Member

The fan is the easy job to replace. I shouldn't think that there is a problem with the pump as well. Good luck

11. DropTopPony

well its a good time to upgrade water pumps. Ford revised them in 99 so the newer one work better. They don't cavitate as easy. Casey what year is your mustang again?