MGW shifter, transmission fluid leaking through shifter.

itsell

Reaction score
This is a strange issue I’m wondering if anyone has had. I just had a new T5 installed, so I have all the Center console removed while I make sure the shifter base isn’t leaking since I just installed my old MGW on it . Anyway, the base of the shifter isn’t leaking, but instead when the trans gets hot ATF is coming up through my MGW shifter and leaking out. Like directly through where the handle shaft goes down into the transmission. Could be the grease in the shifter has gone away over time? Anyone know what type of grease to use on the top and underside of the pivot ball of the MGW?

OP
OP
itsell

itsell

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the response. I’m going to remove the top plug and see how much fluid comes out, if any. Wonder if the shop that installed it got the fluid amount wrong, I think the t45 take more oil, maybe they thought it was a t45.

OP
OP
itsell

itsell

Reaction score
Well, I opened the top plug and nothing came out, so I’d say it wasn’t overfilled. I changed the fluid completely after checking that because it close to the break in mileage recommended by Tremec. After changing the fluid it didn’t come out the shifter on the way home. Went for a good long drive to get nice and hot. Weird. I’m gonna call MGW though and ask about it, and probably modern Driveline too as that’s where I got the T5 from. I’ll update later

07GtS197

Reaction score
I came upon another thread where a guy had the same issue and also had an mgw shifter. Could just be a coincidence I suppose.

OP
OP
itsell

itsell

Reaction score
I talked to George at MGW. He said the shifter housing area really shouldn't be pressurized enough to blow fluid up through the shifter in normal street use, and that it is indeed most likely the transmission vent tube, either clogged or bent. So ya I'll have to look at that. He did mention however that in really high horsepower or road racing applications the transmission vent tube isn't adequate and guys will drill an extra vent into the shifter base to help. If anyone is having this issue in those kinds of conditions call George at MGW and he can detail how to modify it, and what kind of vent you can add to the shifter.

OP
OP
itsell

itsell

Reaction score
Just an update to confirm. Modern driveline said that the vent tubes offer get stuck closed after the transmission is assembled. They said to squeeze it a bunch to free it up. I did, and no more fluid coming out of the shifter. tremec should really mention to do that in the instructions before installing…anyway man a brand new T5z shifts butter smooth. loving it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online