MIL questions...........

CCM Power

Reaction score
My 96GT has a BBK catted h-pipe and for some reason Im still getting a check engine light. Is it still necessary to use MILs even for a catted pipe? If so can you tell me where the best place to get them is? Will my car still pass inspection if I have them on?

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
Any particular type of MIL that you would recommend as being a good one?

Koumiss45

Reaction score
Some of the ones on ebay are the splice kind....I'm not sure if I'd trust em'. I have heard bad things about MIL elims as a whole, although I have a set on my Off Road H and dont throw codes, mine are BBK. They were easy to install, although I did have to cut off the alignment tabs on them, but no biggie. I think dallasmustang had a set for like $40, which is pretty cheap.

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I was actually looking at those splice in kind and wasnt too sure about them. They are cheaper but then again you get what you pay for sometimes. I was actually looking at the BBK ones since I already have a BBK exhaust on and mine is the catted high flow H-pipe. I think they should work fine for me.

Koumiss45

Reaction score
Just a thought... In my situation I have a running relationship with my local Autozone, and they do price match performance parts for me. I brought in a print out of the Dallas Mustang ones for 40 dollars and they price matched that to the BBK ones.... I think it saved me like 23 dollars or so, but for a college kid thats alot.

whty98

Reaction score
If you are catted, you shouldn't need MILS. You should reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. If the check engine light comes back, go to Autozone and have them scan your car. If they give you just a code and not a reason why, ask people on here or reasearch the code. When I installed my catted X, I got a code thrown but it was because of a front O2 going bad.

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
Koumiss45 said:
Just a thought... In my situation I have a running relationship with my local Autozone, and they do price match performance parts for me. I brought in a print out of the Dallas Mustang ones for 40 dollars and they price matched that to the BBK ones.... I think it saved me like 23 dollars or so, but for a college kid thats alot.

Thats pretty cool. I never knew they did stuff like that.

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
whty98 said:
If you are catted, you shouldn't need MILS. You should reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. If the check engine light comes back, go to Autozone and have them scan your car. If they give you just a code and not a reason why, ask people on here or reasearch the code. When I installed my catted X, I got a code thrown but it was because of a front O2 going bad.

Honestly, I didnt think the catted pipes needed them either but I did some reading on the subject and found they can trigger the check engine light. I did pull my codes and got a 0420 and 0430 which were "catalyst efficiency below threshold" and that was on both banks 1 and 2. After that I played around a little more and found that the only reason the light didnt come on before was because I had a hypertech powerchip on my car's computer and that worked ok with the high flow exhaust but the stock computer looks at that a little differently and thats what causes the problem for me. Long story on why I took the hypertech off but the driveability is still very good without it.

S

scarface

some cars do need MILs with a catted pipe. I did. THe car comes with 4-6 cats. With only two cats the ECU still doesnt get the proper readings thus causing the CEL.

OP
OP
C

CCM Power

Reaction score
scarface said:
some cars do need MILs with a catted pipe. I did. THe car comes with 4-6 cats. With only two cats the ECU still doesnt get the proper readings thus causing the CEL.

The joy of modern technology! :nonono:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online