Mileage Odometer & Trip Odometer stopped working

Richard P

Reaction score
Hello Fellow SN95 Fans,

I've read the forum digest for a while but I believe that this is my fitst posting.

I have a '95 GT convertible, 5-speed manual, with about 75,000 miles. I just noticed today that my mileage odometer and trip mileage counter have stopped working. This has happened within the past two weeks since I last filled up with gas. The speedometer and tachometer are working as per normal.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what may be causing this issue since I don't want to tear into the dashboard without a good cause. Suggestions as to where to start tracking down the issue anyone?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

Richard Pittenger
Troy, Ohio

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like 07 said. The little plastic gears crumble very easily over time. 99% chance that’s what happened. 1% chance the motor went out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delling3

Reaction score
CJ Pony Parts and other have improved replacement gears. Video's on YouTube showing the step by step repair. Not overly difficult, but as noted you must pull the cluster. Watch the video by ChrisFix on the subject - very well done.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17255OG/94-98-Mustang-Odometer-Repair-Gear-Kit

While you’re at it, order a set of cheap 194 LED bulbs off of eBay and convert your dash cluster + HVAC control bulbs. It’ll have a nice, cool bluish tint, really makes the interior feel nicer and the gauges are much easier to see at night. I think you need 7 bulbs if I recall right. Buy a 10 pack.

upload_2019-7-31_19-42-20.jpeg

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
^good advice! I did mine when I replaced those gears. Made the hassle feel more worth it with the improved look

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
motors do go out...ask me how I know....I have two or three used motors if anyone ever needs one.

OP
OP
R

Richard P

Reaction score
I just wanted to report back to the group that your advice about the deteriorated plastic gears was spot on. I ordered the replacement gear set from LMR, received it in a few days, have installed it, and all seems fine. I didn't mess with the lights since I don't drive the car much after dark and since they're all working now. Why 'fix' something that ain't broke? It's not a very big deal to open it back up if a light goes out.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
I do have some issues with the way the car runs that I will open a new post for. Looking forward to responses on that posting as well.
Richard P.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Great that you got it working again. I just wanted to mention (in case others discover this thread in a future search) that I’ve ordered gears from odometergears.com
http://m.odometergears.com/mobile/products/Ford/Mustang+(all+models)+94-99/110

Seems to be the same cost as LMR. I wonder if they’re a supplier. I bought a replacement gear for my 94 in 2007, and another one for an 88 BMW around that same time. My mustang was about 165,000 miles then. Thankfully I was recording my mileage back in the day, which didn’t vary at all weekly, so when I was able to fix it, I spun up the mileage to what it most likely should have been. Anyway, 12 years and 26,000 miles later (wow that’s low!) and it still turns.

...sorry... ...having trouble realizing the fact that I own a “low mileage” “classic” mustang. Feels weird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online