Mileage Odometer & Trip Odometer stopped working

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Richard P, Jul 31, 2019.

  1. Richard P

    Richard P New Member

    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2016
    Hello Fellow SN95 Fans,

    I've read the forum digest for a while but I believe that this is my fitst posting.

    I have a '95 GT convertible, 5-speed manual, with about 75,000 miles. I just noticed today that my mileage odometer and trip mileage counter have stopped working. This has happened within the past two weeks since I last filled up with gas. The speedometer and tachometer are working as per normal.

    I'm looking for suggestions as to what may be causing this issue since I don't want to tear into the dashboard without a good cause. Suggestions as to where to start tracking down the issue anyone?

    Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

    Richard Pittenger
    Troy, Ohio
     
    white95 likes this.
  2. 07GtS197

    07GtS197 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,069
    Likes Received:
    49
    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2015
    Location:
    Naples, Fl
    Most likely its the little odometer gears that have broken. Cheap and easy but the cluster needs to come out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    white95 and evilcw311 like this.
  3. evilcw311

    evilcw311 Moderator Staff Member Staff

    Messages:
    5,554
    Likes Received:
    411
    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    Location:
    Louisville, KY
    Like 07 said. The little plastic gears crumble very easily over time. 99% chance that’s what happened. 1% chance the motor went out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    white95 likes this.
  4. delling3

    delling3 Member

    Messages:
    128
    Likes Received:
    27
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2018
    Location:
    Sterling Heights, MI
    CJ Pony Parts and other have improved replacement gears. Video's on YouTube showing the step by step repair. Not overly difficult, but as noted you must pull the cluster. Watch the video by ChrisFix on the subject - very well done.
     
    white95 likes this.
  5. white95

    white95 Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

    Messages:
    14,726
    Likes Received:
    800
    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17255OG/94-98-Mustang-Odometer-Repair-Gear-Kit

    While you’re at it, order a set of cheap 194 LED bulbs off of eBay and convert your dash cluster + HVAC control bulbs. It’ll have a nice, cool bluish tint, really makes the interior feel nicer and the gauges are much easier to see at night. I think you need 7 bulbs if I recall right. Buy a 10 pack.

    upload_2019-7-31_19-42-20.jpeg
     
  6. Burninriverdiver

    Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,622
    Likes Received:
    97
    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2014
    Location:
    Akron OH
    ^good advice! I did mine when I replaced those gears. Made the hassle feel more worth it with the improved look
     
    white95 likes this.
  7. SnakeBit!

    SnakeBit! Active Member

    Messages:
    776
    Likes Received:
    51
    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2014
    Location:
    Florida
    motors do go out...ask me how I know....I have two or three used motors if anyone ever needs one.
     
    white95 likes this.
  8. Richard P

    Richard P New Member

    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2016
    I just wanted to report back to the group that your advice about the deteriorated plastic gears was spot on. I ordered the replacement gear set from LMR, received it in a few days, have installed it, and all seems fine. I didn't mess with the lights since I don't drive the car much after dark and since they're all working now. Why 'fix' something that ain't broke? It's not a very big deal to open it back up if a light goes out.
    Thanks to everyone who responded.
    I do have some issues with the way the car runs that I will open a new post for. Looking forward to responses on that posting as well.
    Richard P.
     
    07GtS197 and white95 like this.
  9. MyLittlePony

    MyLittlePony Active Member

    Messages:
    315
    Likes Received:
    12
    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Dallas
    Great that you got it working again. I just wanted to mention (in case others discover this thread in a future search) that I’ve ordered gears from odometergears.com
    http://m.odometergears.com/mobile/products/Ford/Mustang+(all+models)+94-99/110

    Seems to be the same cost as LMR. I wonder if they’re a supplier. I bought a replacement gear for my 94 in 2007, and another one for an 88 BMW around that same time. My mustang was about 165,000 miles then. Thankfully I was recording my mileage back in the day, which didn’t vary at all weekly, so when I was able to fix it, I spun up the mileage to what it most likely should have been. Anyway, 12 years and 26,000 miles later (wow that’s low!) and it still turns.

    ...sorry... ...having trouble realizing the fact that I own a “low mileage” “classic” mustang. Feels weird.