Mis-Fire Code: p0300 (warning, newbie knowledge) lol

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions for my mis-fire. I have 1997 GT bone stock in and out. I recently bought this car September 2015 and have 232k miles. I bought it from a first owner. I'm new to the car scene so my knowledge is very broad, in other words I don't know much about my car as I should be, but I do got to start some where.

I remember when I was test driving the car, I tried doing a small pull 2nd-3rd gear. I've notice the car struggled pass 3k-4.5k rpm. I've drove the same model as mine (my friend's) I remember my friends sn95 was quite more powerful. I ask the previous owner why it struggled and he responded, "The cats are clogged". Don't ask, but once I bought it, I've been daily driving my car to work and completely ignored the problem like an idiot. It backfired when I took my car to a meet last week. My car can't even pass 80 mph even if I put my foot 100% on the pedal. That same day my check engine light came on. I've notice my car has been loosing power each time I drove it. The code is p0300 which is a misfire. With the lack of knowledge I have, I've look into my problem and basically put 8 new spark plugs. And my car still struggles going up a hill. My friend and I took each coil packs one by one while the car was on to see which one wasn't sparking. The tone of my car hasn't change when we took off 3 coil packs and the others did. So I thought it was the coil packs was the problem so I replaced them and nothing hasn't change. Even my distributor/spark plug wires are good. So I did a little more research and end up changing one of my fuel injection. Luckily I felt a little more power and was able to drive my car on the free way lol.

Since my fuel injection was bad, that's probably the reason why all 6 cats are bad. Right? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, a brotha needs help. So my next plan is to buy whole new cats or full exhaust set up. And if anyone have suggestions/advice or ideas feel free to comment below. Anything would help. If anyone wants me to take a picture or post a video of myself doing a 2nd-3rd gear pull I will be more happy to post it up, if it helps.

Here's my car. I just installed lowering springs, short shifter, cobra r, and mach 1 lip

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Cleaned up the Maf today and idling is much better. I also checked my air filter fram and looks clean as well

Pee_jay

Reaction score
Is the issue completely gone? I had a clogged converter on my 96 V6 and it ultimately ended with a cracked head.. I would definitely get those cats fixed ASAP if it were mine.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And by fixed that means cats removed!!!! :)

Unless you live where they do emissions test....... :-(

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Personally I would change all fluids plugs ,plug wires, check the Iac valve, tps,maf, run some fuel system cleaner, new fuel filter, AND I am only running two cats,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Is the issue completely gone? I had a clogged converter on my 96 V6 and it ultimately ended with a cracked head.. I would definitely get those cats fixed ASAP if it were mine.
It's not completely gone, but the idling is better, I'm not driving it once I completely fix the whole misfire problem

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
And by fixed that means cats removed!!!! :)

Unless you live where they do emissions test....... :-(

This message courtesy of crapatalk!
I live in California so it's definitely not going to pass. But I'm doing it anyways lmao. I just haven't search up what set up I want, willing to take suggestions

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Personally I would change all fluids plugs ,plug wires, check the Iac valve, tps,maf, run some fuel system cleaner, new fuel filter, AND I am only running two cats,

Hmm.. I should mind as well. I won't be driving this car anyways. What exhaust set up you're running?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hey you got a nice ride! Very clean! Im with these guys, clean maf. Do necessary update on plugs and wires with quality equipment. Change the fluides,...so on. Welcome to the forum!

neverenuff

Reaction score
I live in California so it's definitely not going to pass. But I'm doing it anyways lmao. I just haven't search up what set up I want, willing to take suggestions
I do recommend at least one cat on each bank unless it is tuned not to run them. I used an off road x and sitting at stop lights I could smell raw fuel- not pleasant after a long drive

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Hey you got a nice ride! Very clean! Im with these guys, clean maf. Do necessary update on plugs and wires with quality equipment. Change the fluides,...so on. Welcome to the forum!
Thanks bro! I feel very welcomed! Yeah, I'm definitely gonna listen to these guys

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
I do recommend at least one cat on each bank unless it is tuned not to run them. I used an off road x and sitting at stop lights I could smell raw fuel- not pleasant after a long drive

yeah, I probably have 2 cats, then save up for OEM for smog

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Hmm.. I should mind as well. I won't be driving this car anyways. What exhaust set up you're running?
I've got BBK shorties, with rear cat delete custom made xpipe to two aero turbine 2525s then to two black tips. Fully custom piping as well

neverenuff

Reaction score
CA smog is the pits! Same EPA members since 1975! End of rant

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
So good news.. Instead of saving up $500-$1k to fix my problem. My good friend of mine is selling his 1996 Gt PI swapped 95k miles in whole for $700 lol. He recently wrecked the rear end and he has no insurance. So I'm buying the car for the engine and all the whole exhaust set, then will be parting out the wrecked one out. Once my taxes comes in, it will be mine lol. I'll post a couple of pictures in near future

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
I've got BBK shorties, with rear cat delete custom made xpipe to two aero turbine 2525s then to two black tips. Fully custom piping as well

Do you some how have a video by any chance? I would love to hear it

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Shoot me a pick of those 96 seats! I need a good driver seat and its impossible to find one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online