Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

95GT86SS

Reaction score
With a noid light

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1

HuskerGT

Reaction score
Had almost the same thing happen on my 94. I have a thread about it here somewhere. Right at 20 minutes mine would break up at around 1500-2000 rpm. After a shop had it for a while trying to figure it out, they ended up replacing my distributor, ignition control module and MAF but we still had problems with breaking up. They checked the fuel pressure and voltage and those were within spec.

Turned out the aftermarket MAF and ignition control modules they used were bad. Ended up putting in Motorcraft replacement parts to get things right. Hope this helps man. I was frustrated as hell too.

OP
OP
S

sinister5oh

Reaction score
Had almost the same thing happen on my 94. I have a thread about it here somewhere. Right at 20 minutes mine would break up at around 1500-2000 rpm. After a shop had it for a while trying to figure it out, they ended up replacing my distributor, ignition control module and MAF but we still had problems with breaking up. They checked the fuel pressure and voltage and those were within spec.

Turned out the aftermarket MAF and ignition control modules they used were bad. Ended up putting in Motorcraft replacement parts to get things right. Hope this helps man. I was frustrated as hell too.

thanks for the input. MAF is stock, (or I presume so, it's down underneath the car near the filter with the JLT CAI), has been cleaned. my dad swore by the ignition module, replaced with Napa (Echlin) brand..problem didn't seem to better or worsen, so hopefully the module itself is OK. my next step is the distributor, as I think the pick up sensor is the culprit. if the distributor doesn't then fix the problem, then I will back-track and look into a new MAF or ignition module. again thanks for the input..I will post results here in a few days when I get a chance to buy and install new dizzy.

OP
OP
S

sinister5oh

Reaction score
welp, whaddya know. it was the distributor. a few days ago I was inspecting the distributor, and the Hall effect pick-up sensor was actually very wobbly and not sturdy in its place, as it should be. anyways, I put in a new distributor today from Napa, also threw on new o2 sensors while I was at it. they were quite the ***** to get out, along with excessive wire splicing because of the placement of the sensors due to the long tubes. took her for a test drive tonight and she's running just like she should be!! finally feels good to drive around and not be "waiting" for the misfire to roll around. thanks you guys for the input. I'll be sure to stay as active as I can on these forums, car related or not!!

OP
OP
S

sinister5oh

Reaction score
Napa (Echlin) brand. Ford-remanufactured, OE spec. looked sturdy enough, only 100 bucks. I choose Napa over any other auto parts store, but that's just me.

inspect your distributor. take off cap, remove rotor from the stator (metal plate). behind the metal plate is a small black pick-up sensor, with wiring attached to it. grab it with your fingers and wiggle it. if it's moving excessively, it could possibly be the cause of your problem. mine was wiggling pretty bad, it didn't seem right. my new distributor's pick-up sensor was nice and firm and didn't move at all. it's easier and a better route overall to just buy a new distributor instead of just the pickup sensor, as you have to take apart the distributor to replace it.

reply back with results, and good luck in hunting down the oh so dreaded misfire..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My buddies are saying the pickup in the distributor is bad. Typical ford failure. Possible the coil is cracked. Opens up when warm
Your welcome!

And.....im glad youre here dood! You seam to be a cool guy!

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Funny how it works out. Glad it's fixed

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online