Mod motor help

cmher18

Reaction score
If your headers are lose and leaking is it possible when u first start it up I had a puff of smoke behind the head passenger side. Smelled like oil. Im taking it to get fuel system done so i have them retighten the bolts. But whats behind the passenger side head that would puff smoke 1 time and not go it again?

On cold start up it was running 30 sec burbed the throttle and saw smoke out the back on the passenger side head area. One once But i can still smell a different burnning smell Back in that corrner kinda like burnt oil. If the headers are leaking when its cold and just started the car could it let white smoke /steam out?. Smells like oil. Its NOT a heads gasket dont say that Car is in break in mode only been up to 3500 rmps stays right at 180-193 dregrees

This is a brand new motor only 100 miles I heard the header bolts will losen up on new motors :-[

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
cmher18 said:
Stock ford bolts off my old setup

ohhh man,.............well I can tell you in the shop that does all my work, they wont put headers on a customers car if they are NOT going to use the locking header bolts. The stock ones have a BAD record of coming back out......as is probally what happend in your case :(. When you get it fixed, I strongly suggest you get a set, you can pick them up for about 40 bucks and they are worth every penny.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
forgot what you described sounds right the header is loose and causing all the probelms

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
cmher18 said:
THanks Man Make me feel alot better :drunk:

if thats what it is, its no big deal........just get those locking bolts, replace the ones you have .....and your set :)

OP
OP
C

cmher18

Reaction score
What makes the steam/smoke come out? Is it kinda like the smoke that comes out of the pipes when it cold? Just leaking out?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's probably more of a gap when they're cold.
They expand a bit as they heat up.

The smoke comes from excess headlight fluid burning up durring the first 10 seconds.

Nacho

Reaction score
Trust me, you DON'T need the locking bolts on there. They are a nice piece buy the stockers will work fine. What you have to do after installing them, is to run if for a few minutes to let it heat up and expand. After you let it cool down for a bit, it'll compress which can cause them to come loose a bit, but that's when you go back and retorque them. After that, you're set. I did it with my stock bolts and they're working fine. But don't forget to retorque them after cool down cause they will come loose.

OP
OP
C

cmher18

Reaction score
Update I look at the car for a few mins. Ran my hand down the back of the head. Theres oil on the back of the head VALVE COVER LEAKING easy fix Im just glad could be worst.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nacho said:
Trust me, you DON'T need the locking bolts on there. They are a nice piece buy the stockers will work fine. What you have to do after installing them, is to run if for a few minutes to let it heat up and expand. After you let it cool down for a bit, it'll compress which can cause them to come loose a bit, but that's when you go back and retorque them. After that, you're set. I did it with my stock bolts and they're working fine. But don't forget to retorque them after cool down cause they will come loose.

I completely disagree, I'm not going by my own experience on this I'm going by a shop owner that sees hundreds of mustangs a year. He doesn't push them because hes making money on them, he pushes them because they can save a lot of headaches down the road. Its just like having full insurance on a car that is paid for and yours ..........you don't have to have the full coverage, but you will be Glad you did if you ever need it. Same with the locking bolts, you don't think you need them........until you have a leak at the header . I have had them on EVERY stang I have ever had that he has worked on and I have NEVER had a exhaust leak.......they do thier job :)

Nacho

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Nacho said:

I completely disagree, I'm not going by my own experience on this I'm going by a shop owner that sees hundreds of mustangs a year. He doesn't push them because hes making money on them, he pushes them because they can save a lot of headaches down the road. Its just like having full insurance on a car that is paid for and yours ..........you don't have to have the full coverage, but you will be Glad you did if you ever need it. Same with the locking bolts, you don't think you need them........until you have a leak at the header . I have had them on EVERY stang I have ever had that he has worked on and I have NEVER had a exhaust leak.......they do thier job :)

Well I do agree with you, but like I said before, you don't NEED them. No doubt they work and what not, but they're not a necessity. Trust me, I've never had a set of locking bolts and have not had a problem with exhaust leaks if I do what I mentioned above. Now the times I did forget, they leaked.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nacho said:
Snakebit said:
Nacho said:

Well I do agree with you, but like I said before, you don't NEED them. No doubt they work and what not, but they're not a necessity. Trust me, I've never had a set of locking bolts and have not had a problem with exhaust leaks if I do what I mentioned above. Now the times I did forget, they leaked.

Have you ever had a aluminum head 4.6 :D, I should have mentioned the fact that the 4.6 cars is what he pushes them on because of the type of material the head is made out of. :comando: sorry I didnt mention that earlier.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nacho said:
Never had one. That may be the reason.

I had just thought about it, when I looked at your sig pic and seen you have a 5.0 :D, the aluminum heads on the 4.6 have tendencies to allow the header bolts to back out.......thus causing a leak. The locking header bolts eliminates this problem. Not all have problems but there is enough of a concern for him to insist that the 4.6 cars use the locking header bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online