Modify factory 97 Cobra strut brace to fit my 98 or not - want advice

PinkieT

Reaction score
Got a factory strut brace off a 97 Cobra to put on my 98 GT ragtop. As I don't have the strut tower drilled with the bolts welded in like earlier cars, and my firewall doesn't have the lip that the brace bolts to, I have two choices. Drill holes in the original factory brace and make it work with my 98, or get an aftermarket brace and save the factory original. How rare/desirable are the factory braces? Would I be stupid to hack it up to fit my 98? Should I sell it and buy an aftermarket brace?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You actually do have the pinch weld on the firewall to attach the stb.
Just remove the plastic cover and you'll see it. All you should have to duo is trim the plastic to clear after the stb is installed.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
You actually do have the pinch weld on the firewall to attach the stb.
Just remove the plastic cover and you'll see it. All you should have to duo is trim the plastic to clear after the stb is installed.

Yes, there is a flat pinch welded piece coming out from the firewall. Only the passenger side has a tab that sticks out far enough to work with the existing bolt hole on the brace, the driver side does not. I held the brace in place and the end that bolt to the tower were tight on them when the one firewall pinch weld lined up with the factory bolt hole. I would still have to drill thru the firewall for the driver side.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Does it clear everything else?
If it does then I would use it. I don't see any value in saving a stock part fit anything else

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Does it clear everything else?
If it does then I would use it. I don't see any value in saving a stock part fit anything else

It clears everything. I only paid $40 so lots cheaper than a brand new BBK.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I have a brace off a 95 gt just sitting in my dining room

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online