Modifying EGR tube

riored4v

Reaction score

Went to go install my EGR tube this weekend since I'm slowly getting things buttoned up. I'm running a 3/8" intake spacer and BBK LT's. The EGR tube is probably about an inch too short and without mangling it, I'm not sure if there is a way to make it work.

Would it be okay to maybe cut the tube in half (likely towards the upper portion of the tube that is closest to the EGR) and install a section of silicone hose?

lutter94

Reaction score
Whats the temp range on that hose? I imagine that tube gets about as hot as the manifold itself....Can't it be cut, and have an extension welded into it?

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Haven't really narrowed down which hose to use yet, but I've seen some good for up to 550*. Getting it welded would be tough since the car isn't driveable, and won't be once I put it back together until it has a tune done.

lutter94

Reaction score
Can you cap it for now? Worry about it after the tune and such? Does it really affect the tune? I threw mine away....

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
I could potentially cap it, i just have to make sure the tune includes since i'm needing to keep all my emissions stuff in place.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
You can use "rubber" hose, just have to make sure it is designed for high temperatures.
They shop that installed my longtubes did this without telling me.
A couple of the hoses were ok and a couple went bad after driving for about a week.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
About an inch away from the egr valve

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
A guy on Corral referred me to the part you're talking about. It's Professional Products #54152. Nailed it with your links. Thanks guys! Going to try that piece first before cutting my stock tube.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup it just screws in and then the egr goes on it like its supposed to. Might want to double check its the 3/8", 1/2" or 1" version....

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
I'm guessing the length should match up to the style intake spacer? Or do the headers have any influence on how long the adapter should be?

lutter94

Reaction score
Headers should take account to use the factory EGR tube with no modifications. But if you spacer your intake 1", a 1" egr adapter would be needed.

Edit

Since you said a 3/8 spacer lengthens your intake tube by 1", its because they're not perpendicular axes. Not sure how the aftermarket defines their egr spacers. I guess I would hope that they would specify extension length (not overall), or take all the guess work out of it and sell a EGR spacer for all 3/8 intake spacers. But you may not be that lucky.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Just ordered up the Professional Products version of the adapter. Fingers crossed it works out. Thanks again for the help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online