mods for gt any sug

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
hello im new to this forum and i just wanted to say hi and ask i just got a 96 gt about a month ago and i was wondering wat type of mods i should do its all ready got a intake and a clutch so any sug

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
what kind of intake? you could start with exhaust ( headers if you can do that, its kind of difficult on a 4.6 ) x or h pipe and a catback exhaust. Pulleys, gears are a must and a tune would help

Rantheman

Reaction score
well most would say to do a p.i. head swap but that is a 1,000-1,500 project and thats if you do it your self so I would recomend that down the road but gear,pullies,full exhaust, stuff like that.

Rantheman

Reaction score
well if you got a manual I would say 3.55-3.90 gears if you got an auto people recomend 4.10

Rantheman

Reaction score
well I did my head swap when my motor was out. so it was easy for me. to do your with the motor in place isn't that hard the hardset part would be getting the exhaust manifolds out, but there is a lot to take off. Like intake throttle body plenum fuel rails injectors, timing cover primary timing chains ect... then would need to reasemble it so hey if your are a mechanic nd know what are your doing do the swap and while our ad it some headers on it weather it be long or short header that are choice. i prefer long tubed headers. then cams are a must to benifit more from the swap. port and polish if you can and full exhaust now you can greatly benifet from the the swap alone but to even get you higher headers cams would be great. But with our motors can't go high on lift sine our pistons are only dished to 10.5cc instead of the newer mustantgs at 17cc so good luck and if you need any help on anytrhing let me know

jpajkos

Reaction score
If you drive you car daily including highways I would recommend 3.73s. If you want a red light warrior like mine. 4.10s

Rantheman

Reaction score
like they said start off with gear then exhaust like midpipe and catback then Iwould start thinking of a head swap

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
all right cool and this winter i am goin to attempt the swap so i hope it will go smothly any brand of heads i should go with i heard patriot performance is no good

SMOKE

Reaction score
Re: mods for gt any sug -Depnds

Recommendations can be more specific if we knew your plans.

Will this car ever hit the track?
1/4mi or road course?
Daily driver only (DD)?

Forced Induction (FI) or Naturally Aspirated (NA).
There are tons of combinations that we have all tried and someone has probably 'been there and done that' enough to give the PROs and CONs.

BTW, welcome to the site, congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy!!!
It also helps if we can see the ride .... kinda selfish I know. ::)

OP
OP
S

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
well i plan on goin to the track but keeping it streetable i was lookin for numbers around 400 hopefully and most likely FI and i just heard that if i do the pi head swap with fully ported heads i will loose bottom end torque

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
IMO id start with gears (3.73) ,short shifter (MGW), and a good cat-back (SLP) . Gears i think are the best bang for the buck. I recommend 3.73 as that is what i have. They are great for the track and run fine when u r just out driving. The shifter is the first thing i had done to my car and it'll prolly be the first mod i do to any car i own. Cat-back is just nice to have so you have a different sound coming from your car. Other than that enjoy ur ride and let us all know how it goes.

S

scarface

get some gears and dont worry about the bottom end torque. You will be blowing the tires off the thing as it is.

g_dogg

Reaction score
Rantheman said something about gettin cams to benefit from the new headers.
i already have ford racing headers.
what are cams what do they do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online