Modular headshop review 2022

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Ok so last year I purchased a set of comp 106300 cams. I didn't think I had the time or the patience to properly degree these myself. So I contacted modular head shop as they offer a remote degree service. And today I'm here to review that. I am not here to talk about remote degreeing in general. I felt it was the best option for me as a person, so that's the route I went

Ok so on 12/20 I dropped these off for shipping and I just received them today on 1/4. So turn around time with the holiday involved is pretty good I would say. A total of 15 days including round trip shipping and 2 major holidays. Not bad.

Next up the service. Original service cost includes the degree only that's 400 dollars. You must also purchase a set of billet crank gears. Those are 70. So we're up to 470 dollars mandatory cost. You can opt for new timing gears or send your own. You can also send in your own bolts. I sent in my gears and opted to purchase bolts which was 48 dollars. These are new oem bolts.

This is the point of the purchase that left a little to be desired. I shipped all 6 timing gears because I felt they were in good shape and very low miles (30k). Now this is something people might not like but I felt it was acceptable to re use these 6 components. Chains and guides is another story. I was charged 120 bucks for 4 new secondary gears. What I dislike is the reasoning why, well because there was no reason. I'm very understanding and a simple "hey I found this and this wrong with your gears were going to replace them" that little extra goes a long way for me.

I reached out to ask what they found to make them want new gears and didn't get a response so that's my 1 negative to this experience.

Now onto the last part. The company was very accommodating in my request to degree them outside of what the cam card called for and check PTV for me. So they did exactly what I asked no questions and I'm very happy with that, after all it's what I paid for.

So for those interested in this service I give it 4.5 outta 5. A little bit of comment would have helped make it a 5. If you're going to do this I recommend you possibly prepare that you may spend a little more money than you first budget. All in all the service is great and MHS was easy to work with. With that one point in mind I would easily recommend them to others.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Here is the finished product I received. Looks all good and easy to read for me.

Attachments

• 20230104_170501.jpg
    20230104_170501.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230104_170158.jpg
    20230104_170158.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230104_170139.jpg
    20230104_170139.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230104_170117.jpg
    20230104_170117.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
And here are the gears returned to me that were in question

Attachments

• 20230104_172757.jpg
    20230104_172757.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230104_172752.jpg
    20230104_172752.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230104_172741.jpg
    20230104_172741.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230104_172736.jpg
    20230104_172736.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 8

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So they didn't reuse the stock intake cam sprokets you sent? Instead they degreed with new factory stock or aftermarket? Snap us a pic of the sprockets on the intake cams.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
So they didn't reuse the stock intake cam sprokets you sent? Instead they degreed with new factory stock or aftermarket? Snap us a pic of the sprockets on the intake cams.
They used new factory sprockets.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I would like to think they had their reasons, but almost never do the stock sprockets ever show wear... that ive ever seen, but they have made successful business with this cam degree service. So id say they have their reasons.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yeah and I would too. But like you I'm in the camp of sprockets typically don't show wear. Just a little explanation would have been cool is all I'm really getting at

Snorky

Reaction score
I too have had great experiences with them, they are a bit more on the price but is totally worth it. Spent a lot of time chatting with Jordan about the turbo cars heads/cams/turbo application as well as potentially fixturing my v10 heads for porting.

Looking forward to seeing your results

joe65

Reaction score
Interesting post. I really want to have them degree my custom cams. But I've posted about having them do this on the Todd Warren / Apocolypse group on FB and the "experienced" guys blow a gasket regarding this subject being that its not actually done on your engine. I've had the conversation with Jordan also at MHS and he says every time they have checked it on an actual install they are within 1 degree. I've basically come to the conclusion that i want to do it myself so i learn it. There's lots of videos etc on the process. There's also a really good youtube channel called John Smith Racing. He has tons of great info on building 2v motors and the degreeing etc.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
i chose to have them do it because the tools were only a couple 100 less than having them do it. My time was worth more than that. besides id probable invent a ton of new cuss words out in the garage at that point. Also I'm not surprised you got that response from that group. Todd has been adamant about how "bad" remote degreeing is. I personally don't believe that. i understand factory tolerances can cause a variance. We aren't talking race cars here though. Most of those folks there will just parrot what Todd has said. Technically hes not work but its worry over nothing. Its also better than not degreeing them at all. Todd gave the recommendation to degree my cams at the centerlines they went in but that's about it, no help explanation. Hes probably great if you buy his products but you're better off finding someone else if you've got someone elses cams and want advice.

joe65

Reaction score
i chose to have them do it because the tools were only a couple 100 less than having them do it. My time was worth more than that. besides id probable invent a ton of new cuss words out in the garage at that point. Also I'm not surprised you got that response from that group. Todd has been adamant about how "bad" remote degreeing is. I personally don't believe that. i understand factory tolerances can cause a variance. We aren't talking race cars here though. Most of those folks there will just parrot what Todd has said. Technically hes not work but its worry over nothing. Its also better than not degreeing them at all. Todd gave the recommendation to degree my cams at the centerlines they went in but that's about it, no help explanation. Hes probably great if you buy his products but you're better off finding someone else if you've got someone elses cams and want advice.
I get everything you're saying. I had been weighing the options like you mention also. I also agree about the inventing new cuss words. That will be me i'm sure.

Snorky

Reaction score
I recently checked what Jordan degreed on my green cars cams and they were SPOT on. I think it comes down to if you have had your heads or block decked or not. I think there is a lot of shit talking and mud slinging since Jordan is Very successful and dedicated. Success brings enemies

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
im not going to deny the possibilities of stacked tolerances compounding into a dramatic end result and the best way to combat this is to degree the cams at the source, but no street car or moderate track car will benefit from the science level some of these people take it. If MHS claims tolerances with their degree service, you can take it to the bank.

Watching "that guy" all these years, always late to the game, give it another 5 years and he will start offering a cam degree service. He always has to back pedal his words. Besides all his customer base is the FB kids.

MHS has grown a successful business based on its founder Nick McKinney. That guy had things figured out!

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
i frequent Discord a lot and its mostly the younger early 20s crowd. I cant tell you how many times someone comes in asking about custom cams and are unable to prove the claims given to them. ill stick with my 1000 dollar cam set up and "inaccurate" remote degreed cams.

joe65

Reaction score
im not going to deny the possibilities of stacked tolerances compounding into a dramatic end result and the best way to combat this is to degree the cams at the source, but no street car or moderate track car will benefit from the science level some of these people take it. If MHS claims tolerances with their degree service, you can take it to the bank.

Watching "that guy" all these years, always late to the game, give it another 5 years and he will start offering a cam degree service. He always has to back pedal his words. Besides all his customer base is the FB kids.

MHS has grown a successful business based on its founder Nick McKinney. That guy had things figured out!
You're talking about Todd Warren? He's far from being an idiot and they are building some pretty amazing modular motors lately. I'm also not saying Jordan is not smart. I dunno, to me, I'd imagine it comes down to longevity of the engine. If its done with the actual engine chances are higher that its better tuned/matched to the cams? I'm not an expert for sure, but if I'm going to spend the money I'd like to be sure as possible. Just my 2c.

Snorky

Reaction score
You're talking about Todd Warren? He's far from being an idiot and they are building some pretty amazing modular motors lately. I'm also not saying Jordan is not smart. I dunno, to me, I'd imagine it comes down to longevity of the engine. If its done with the actual engine chances are higher that its better tuned/matched to the cams? I'm not an expert for sure, but if I'm going to spend the money I'd like to be sure as possible. Just my 2c.
I would be DIY in that case. I would trust Jordan degreeing the cams over a generic performance shop or garage. That being said, I bought all of the equipment and do it myself now, and after checking his work. I wouldnt hesitate to suggest his pre degreed cams.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
There is less chance of being off because it's your actual motor but that doesn't negate the person's skill level doing it. We all know this isn't rocket science but jims garage probably doesn't specialize in modular motors.

I'll give you some info that helped me make a choice and it may help you. That one degree difference will mean about up to about 5hp in each direction. Now that 1 degree swing is highly unlikely because that take several thousands to move it 1 degree. It takes 2 full head gasket thickness to move that much according to MHS. That's why 96blk54 said what he said. In fact I reached out to him before doing the cams in my car with questions.

I think you're kind of splitting hairs at that point. If you've got the time and the knowledge degree them yourself. If you don't have the time but have the money the MHS degree service will make no noticeable difference but it won't be "perfect"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.