Motor mounts going bad?

98mustanggtkid

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting a rattle from the drivers side, for the longest time I was thinking it was coming from the suspension. I took the tire off looked for anything lose. checked the ball joints and tie rods to excessive play but everything seemed alright. the rattle doesnt happen all the time but I can hear it once the car is started and just sitting in park or driving down the road over bumps. is there any good way to tell if they are going bad or is just putting it in reverse or drive and seeing if the motor moves more than it should. Any help would be great the noise is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Not really going to know by just sounds. Need to get under and inspect really good. I will add, solid mounts are cheap and makes for a race car feel.

OP
OP

98mustanggtkid

Reaction score
That was my plan for this weekend to hop under there and look. I was just going to get the polyurthaine ones. I dont need anything too crazy. it will be a while before I boost it and all :)

heffe2001

Reaction score
I had terrible vibration on my car when I got it, you could feel it in the shifter, and it'd be enough to make the dash rattle. When we swapped out the kmember for an un-tweaked one a month later and checked the motor mounts, the rubber was all but nonexistant. I replaced them with a good set of used ones, and my vibration went away. Wish I'd have gotten a good set of poly mounts now. You could hold the bolt that went down into the k-member, shake the mount and it would sound like a cow-bell (this was after removal), lol.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
What are the signs of bad motor mounts? I just pulled my tranny and I could move my motor a TON while wiggling that tranny out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litelmac

Members online