Motor mounts: Solid vs. Poly....what to buy?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We've been talking about this for almost 3 weeks and no decision yet?!?!??

Come on man!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
I've had Energy Suspension poly motors/trans mounts (you have to upgrade BOTH at the same time) since 2006
on three different motors and have had great luck with them. They definitely tightened things up over the rubber junk and you can really feel the cam at idle. I wouldn't run solids unless you need to drop the engine, which you don't. Also, offset rack bushings increase bump steer, so if they were on your list- cross them off..

Can't do that when nobody makes one for your car.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Lol still no decision. Got the bigger $$$ pieces of my suspension here first while they were still up for debate. I'm really thinking about just going with poly (already have the trans mount btw white).

Also [MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] I didn't mention it in the first post but I do already have a Steeda bump steer kit, so the offset rack bushings are still fine in addition to that...amirite?

dsrtjeeper

Reaction score
I've had Energy Suspension poly motors/trans mounts (you have to upgrade BOTH at the same time) since 2006
on three different motors and have had great luck with them. They definitely tightened things up over the rubber junk and you can really feel the cam at idle. I wouldn't run solids unless you need to drop the engine, which you don't. Also, offset rack bushings increase bump steer, so if they were on your list- cross them off..

Why do I have to upgrade both at the same time? I run poly motor mounts and a factory tranny mount on my '95.

mustangmurley

Reaction score
I went with poly in my 96 when I PI swapped last winter and I have very slim to no clearance with the long tubes and I hear zero vibration even when getting on the gas.. My vote goes to poly mounts.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Why do I have to upgrade both at the same time? I run poly motor mounts and a factory tranny mount on my '95.

Simply put, you're allowing the transmission to rotate more than the engine which *could* eventually cause case damage but YMMV.. Keeping the transmission "in check" allows the the driveline to react quicker without as much deflection. You will notice an increase in vibrations and noise but it's a Mustang. They kinda do that.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've ran poly tranny mount with stock motor mounts for a while. Didn't notice too much of s difference other than shifting felt a tad smoother since tranny wasn't moving as much.

But I can't wait to feel the new setup with solids. I personally like feeling the whole cars reaction when you snap the throttle.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

castine917

Reaction score
A solid trans mount with a poly or stock engine mount is more likely to break trans case or trans bracket than solid engine mounts with poly or stock trans mount.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I will say this, my suspension caused more vibrations than the solid motor mounts and poly tranny mount. holy cow does the suspension make it a worse ride than mounts.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I had this same dilemma a couple weeks ago when I was trying to decide. I ended up going with MM poly mounts. A little more pricey, but I'm sure they'll be worth it. Whether solids cause more vibration or not, I didn't wanna chance it. I drive mine on the street most of the time so I still care about how it feels inside when I drive it

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Elrod, just get Energy Suspension mounts. Solids will drive you nuts on a daily/semi daily driver.

EDIT: This is when I was using my GoPro to check for a coolant leak. 400hp with Energy engine/trans mounts and it holds pretty damn well. (Skip to 1:30)

[video=youtube;l7PsGlA1Ehg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7PsGlA1Ehg[/video]

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Just an update on my part. Picked up my car from the paint shop recently after not driving it for about two months. The ride home was horrible. I had recently put solids on. I am so very happy to say that I have taken the solids out and put the polys back in. My car is once again enjoyable to drive. Never again.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Elrod, just get Energy Suspension mounts. Solids will drive you nuts on a daily/semi daily driver.

Forgot to update this thread, I think I put it in my build thread. That's what I went with though, same as my trans mount. Didn't think I could go wrong there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99