motor mounts

philly101

Reaction score
is there an benefit runing solid eng mounts over polyurethane an if so whats the pros an cons of both

Pitbull_SN95

Reaction score
If it's a track car, go for the solids. The solids are streetable ranging from teeth scattering to no vibrating but it can make pulling a transmission a pita. I'd just go with some nice poly mounts. There's not really a downside to either, or one's better than the other. Just make sure you do your research on which poly mounts you go with. I've heard a few things about them not fitting correctly in the aftermarket K members.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When your engine provides drive through the driveline (i.e. when you step on the gas pedal), it creates a twisting motion (torque). Since your driveline has friction and mass and all that stuff, it doesn't want to twist right away. So the engine ends up twisting some instead until the driveline gets going. The softer the engine mount, the more the engine twisting will happen (if you've seen youtube vids of engines as people revved them or dyno'd them, and the engine moved a lot... => softer engine mounts). This is power being used to twist your motor, rather than twist your driveline. Wasted power.

If the engine mounts were solid, they would not allow twisting at all, and thus the twisting motion is forced to the driveline. Much less loss of power. But an engine vibrates. If the mounts are solid, this vibration can be transmitted to the car, increasing NVH dramatically, whereas softer mounts would eat up the vibration and smooth it out before the passengers felt it. In a racecar, no ones cares about NVH because racecar. In any other car, people tend to care.

How much power is really wasted with the twisting? Probably negligible. For a racecar, where every bit counts, then it's important. For every other car, it's usually not worth the NVH it brings with it, poly mounts are a much better option.

So, this is a long way to say "What Orange 94 said."

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Solid mounts ftw.

Nothing like getting your shake on when the key turns over.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went solids. You can feel it in the butt when you're cruising, which is nice... ;)

I suggest solid if you're on a budget and OEM if you're not. Polys give minimal "performance" bump unless you're pushing some high TQ numbers (500+)

BOOOSTD

Reaction score
I personally don't like the solid mount for the street because you hear and feel every vibration. If it was a pure drag then absolutely.

So my solution is a poly for the street and then I have a custom tie-down for the track which replicates a solid mount. My tie-down connects from the drivers side frame rail to the power steering pump bracket which elimantes the engine twist.

OP
OP
P

philly101

Reaction score
Thxs for all the info guys looks like im goin to go with the soft stuff it will be my track car in like another 2 years haa need to ride good for my bby

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I have energy suspension poly red motor mounts, brand new out the box installed on my mustang gave absolutely no vibration. Lesser brands gave initial vibration but when broken in went away after a while. I am glad I did them because it helped the car a bit in take off acceleration by SOTP feel, probably gained 1hp back but this is speculation lol.

kb1982

Reaction score
I have the maximun motorsports solid mounts in my 95. It really didnt seem to effect vibration much, but then again im not running a rowdy cam that has a 600 rpm swing at idle. The MM mounts keep the motor at stock height also, so thats a plus. If your going to end up running rear control arms that have solid spherical heim joints in them, then i dont think solid motor mounts would bother a person too much. These are the ones I have, and are pretty nice pieces.

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
I'm running solids with stock cams. Vibrations are not noticeable until you drop the hammer and even then its really not that bad, i drive a r/t dodge magnum as a DD and that's a cushy ride so i have skme type of comparison and again vibrations really aren't that bad, you get to a point you dont notice it anymore, when i tell people I have solids they're surprised. These engines are very well balanced, my favorite part is when you chuck a rev you feel the whole car twist which is kind of cool.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I'm running solids with stock cams. Vibrations are not noticeable until you drop the hammer and even then its really not that bad, i drive a r/t dodge magnum as a DD and that's a cushy ride so i have skme type of comparison and again vibrations really aren't that bad, you get to a point you dont notice it anymore, when i tell people I have solids they're surprised. These engines are very well balanced, my favorite part is when you chuck a rev you feel the whole car twist which is kind of cool.

Reminds you of that old 60's Detroit muscle.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an AJE K member that uses the universal motor mount setup, and the bushings that come in it are the same part number bushings for the steering rack. The bushings that came with the K member are poly, and I switched them out to delrin, which is basically between poly mounts and solid mounts. I noticed a slight vibration, but its just sitting at idle with the large cams...

Ineedav8

Reaction score
I have a set of upr solids I tend to use on my 96 stage 3 cams and all can't wait for it honestly

punched281

Reaction score
Ive got solids and its a dammed motor. Everything in my car rattle now. I wished I wouldn't have and you can't really feel a difference.

I would go with stiff, but not solid.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I personally don't like the solid mount for the street because you hear and feel every vibration. If it was a pure drag then absolutely.

So my solution is a poly for the street and then I have a custom tie-down for the track which replicates a solid mount. My tie-down connects from the drivers side frame rail to the power steering pump bracket which elimantes the engine twist.

nice... is the power steering pump strong enough to withstand that kinda force/abuse?

I have energy suspension poly red motor mounts, brand new out the box installed on my mustang gave absolutely no vibration. Lesser brands gave initial vibration but when broken in went away after a while. I am glad I did them because it helped the car a bit in take off acceleration by SOTP feel, probably gained 1hp back but this is speculation lol.

dat butt dyno is the most accurate, you know ;) lol.

I have the maximun motorsports solid mounts in my 95. It really didnt seem to effect vibration much, but then again im not running a rowdy cam that has a 600 rpm swing at idle. The MM mounts keep the motor at stock height also, so thats a plus. If your going to end up running rear control arms that have solid spherical heim joints in them, then i dont think solid motor mounts would bother a person too much. These are the ones I have, and are pretty nice pieces.

dang, everyone here hasnt noticed much vibration from the solid mounts.... ... i must just have a sensitive rear end.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
nice... is the power steering pump strong enough to withstand that kinda force/abuse?

dang, everyone here hasnt noticed much vibration from the solid mounts.... ... i must just have a sensitive rear end.

I'm never out of calibration..................................................................................................................................:D

punched281

Reaction score

Mine vidbrate like crazy, especially when I lopin at idle. All my panels rattle now.

Sometime my girls comments on the vibration too..........

98snakehorse

Reaction score
This movie is kinda dumb but this thread reminded me of it lol....

[video=youtube_share;r8Ps9310ih8]http://youtu.be/r8Ps9310ih8[/video]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online