Mountains and Mustang - small shoot

Darhawk

Reaction score
Just some newly added pictures of the Cobra, on small cruise through the mountains of Utah. Decided just to stop and grab a few shots. This area is pretty awesome for scenery, makes for an interesting background. You can get closer to the action in less time. Enjoy! Love that Rio Red!

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Second last picture looks like a modern day ad picture for the sn95
I like the way that one turned out too. I think I was pretty far away from the car when I used my telephoto on that one. It was hard to get the mountain in background and the sides of the image had construction crap. Sorta challenging. I like the 2nd image too, I did a little cross processing on that one. I shot these with a Canon 80D and a 18-135 STM lens. That is lens is a good general purpose lens, but the colors and contrast are a little muted with it.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the way that one turned out too. I think I was pretty far away from the car when I used my telephoto on that one. It was hard to get the mountain in background and the sides of the image had construction crap. Sorta challenging. I like the 2nd image too, I did a little cross processing on that one. I shot these with a Canon 80D and a 18-135 STM lens. That is lens is a good general purpose lens, but the colors and contrast are a little muted with it.

Nice! I thought you had a different body, is the 18-135 the kit for 80d?
You have a 70-200 F4L and 40mm right? Those are the exactly same lens I have right now. The 70-200 is a beauty for the cost. I just got the 40mm and am extremely happy with it, can't believe its performance for the cost. I've been playing around with a few lenses lately to figure out what I want... looking at buying a couple more L lenses.

You're a better photographer than me, but I'd just recommend stepping back a bit. I feel a couple of those pictures are cropped tightly considering the beautiful background, but you might not have had a choice with the construction you mentioned? Congrats on all the explores you have gotten lately... jealous!

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Nice! I thought you had a different body, is the 18-135 the kit for 80d?You have a 70-200 F4L and 40mm right? Those are the exactly same lens I have right now. The 70-200 is a beauty for the cost. I just got the 40mm and am extremely happy with it, can't believe its performance for the cost. I've been playing around with a few lenses lately to figure out what I want... looking at buying a couple more L lenses.You're a better photographer than me, but I'd just recommend stepping back a bit. I feel a couple of those pictures are cropped tightly considering the beautiful background, but you might not have had a choice with the construction you mentioned? Congrats on all the explores you have gotten lately... jealous!

I did have a canon 70D and I didn't care for it too much so I sold that back in December 2015. So ended getting an 80D right when they came out. I got the 18-135 in the kit with the 70D. My neighbor bought my 70D and I kept the lens. I only use as a back up normally. I sold a few things before I moved, as I have other plans for lens in the next few months. I really like the 40mm, it's a nice small compact prime. My 70-200 is sweet and tack sharp, I love that lens. I do my portrait work with it about 90% of the time. I wish I had your Macro 100mm...that is in my future.

Thanks!! Yeah getting into Explore is hard to do. So I get pretty excited when it happens. Yes, I would agree with your recommendation. I got close on some of those, because of the crap on the sides. There were small trees going down the sidewalk too, and I didn't want them in the picture, so therefore the tight crops. I had to drive the car around a bit to get good view and set up the composition. Then I had to wait for a bit for some guy that pulled up on his motorcycle to leave so I could get that one shot with the Mountain in the background. I don't like the guardrail either but no way to get around that, without a ton of time photo shopping it all out. I normally don't process the images with cross toning, but I wanted to give a try on this set. So a few of them have it slightly added.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did have a canon 70D and I didn't care for it too much so I sold that back in December 2015. So ended getting an 80D right when they came out. I got the 18-135 in the kit with the 70D. My neighbor bought my 70D and I kept the lens. I only use as a back up normally. I sold a few things before I moved, as I have other plans for lens in the next few months. I really like the 40mm, it's a nice small compact prime. My 70-200 is sweet and tack sharp, I love that lens. I do my portrait work with it about 90% of the time. I wish I had your Macro 100mm...that is in my future.

Thanks!! Yeah getting into Explore is hard to do. So I get pretty excited when it happens. Yes, I would agree with your recommendation. I got close on some of those, because of the crap on the sides. There were small trees going down the sidewalk too, and I didn't want them in the picture, so therefore the tight crops. I had to drive the car around a bit to get good view and set up the composition. Then I had to wait for a bit for some guy that pulled up on his motorcycle to leave so I could get that one shot with the Mountain in the background. I don't like the guardrail either but no way to get around that, without a ton of time photo shopping it all out. I normally don't process the images with cross toning, but I wanted to give a try on this set. So a few of them have it slightly added.

How do you like the 80d?
The 70-200 is stupid sharp, would love to upgrade to the 2.8.

I had the 100mm macro as a rental. I liked it, but I don't think I'll buy it. Its a nice lens, and has a lot of uses. I found the autofocuses liked to search at time, its also loud with the IS. I think its a touch short for macro on a full frame though, on crop it would be great. Definitely a nice lens though.

I've also recently used a 135mm 2.8L, 17-40mm F4L, 24-105mm F4L, and the 24-70 F2.8L II.
The 135 was probably my favorite... can be difficult to frame a car even on full frame, but its incredible!
17-40 I'll probably purchase since I cant use my 10-22 on my 6d.
24-105 is probably the most useful.
The 24-70 of course is a nice lens, but wicked expensive.

I want to try a 85mm and possible a longer zoom if I end up being at the track more often. Thinking of trying the 300mm.

I also owned a 50mm f/1.4 sigma art... love it! But it ended up being stolen property... turned it into police and helped them make an arrest. Guy will be in court next week, hopefully i get my money back.

I'd love to get into explore but I'm not good enough and I post too many pictures to be selected. Need more practice and learn more than the basics on lightroom.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
How do you like the 80d?
The 70-200 is stupid sharp, would love to upgrade to the 2.8.

I had the 100mm macro as a rental. I liked it, but I don't think I'll buy it. Its a nice lens, and has a lot of uses. I found the autofocuses liked to search at time, its also loud with the IS. I think its a touch short for macro on a full frame though, on crop it would be great. Definitely a nice lens though.

I've also recently used a 135mm 2.8L, 17-40mm F4L, 24-105mm F4L, and the 24-70 F2.8L II.
The 135 was probably my favorite... can be difficult to frame a car even on full frame, but its incredible! Yes this lens is one of the best!!
17-40 I'll probably purchase since I cant use my 10-22 on my 6d. There are ways to make it work, but you will get vignetting and it take a bit of modifying. Not worth it just sell it and get a 16-35 F/4
24-105 is probably the most useful.
The 24-70 of course is a nice lens, but wicked expensive.

I want to try a 85mm and possible a longer zoom if I end up being at the track more often. Thinking of trying the 300mm.
Do you mean the 85 1.8 or 1.2? The 1.8 is sharp but has high purple fringing, I'd recommend the 100mm 2.0 instead. I has the 85mm and it was a tad soft at 1.8 , the 100mm is a sleeper lens..:) Sharp and less fringing.
I also owned a 50mm f/1.4 sigma art... love it! But it ended up being stolen property... turned it into police and helped them make an arrest. Guy will be in court next week, hopefully i get my money back.
That totally sucks! People taking things that don't belong to them is madness!!

I'd love to get into explore but I'm not good enough and I post too many pictures to be selected. Need more practice and learn more than the basics on lightroom.

So far the 80D is much better than the 70D, the dynamic range is better. I still need to test it with moving subjects, but been so rainy and dark to manage some high shutter speeds. I really want/need to get the 100-400 F/5.6 II IS lens as that think is super sharp and can track really well. Definitely a need to have lens. I had a 400mm prime lens and It didn't have IS, so I always used a tripod, and when I nail the subject it was very sharp. I had the 300mm F/4 IS as well once and it is a great lens, but a little short for me.

I wouldn't get a 17-40 F/4 I would spring for the newer 16-34 F/4 - I have had 2 copies of the latter and it wasn't terrible and the color is amazing, but the 16-35 F/4 is sharper and just better overall.

It takes time to make Explore, plus it is a weird thing, there is a process to it. I don't know if it can be totally figured out, since I believe it's an algorithm system. I noticed you don't add your images to any groups, that would help. I have been trying something new, with how I post my images. I only place them into 2-3 groups and then wait a day or two before I post again. Then add the image to more groups later in the day or next day. Sometimes it is best to only place your image into 1 group one with a high amount of members. If you do a goggle search on how to get noticed in Flickr you might get some good tips. Look through explore and you will notice it a lot of sunsets of images with high color. Add some sunsets to your background or interesting backdrops and then add the image to a couple groups and you might get more hits. Plus don't upload more than 1 image a day. Let it ride. Then wait a few days to upload the rest of the series. I think too many uploads is part of the algorithm. I have no idea really. Give those tips a try. You got to place the pic in Groups! find some Mustang groups and throw your Orange machine in there. If you comment also on other people stuff, they will go look at your images. Get discussion going and then you get more hits. Add a real title to the image and add Tags too, that will also help.

Lightroom is a powerful tool and you can do a lot in it. I personally enjoy watching videos on YouTube to learn how to use it well. I just upgraded to LR6 and I still watch videos about it, to stay fresh and learn new things. You could really make those last images of you car pop with a bit more editing. I like a guy named Anthony Morganti he has a soothing voice to me and I just enjoy how he shows you how to use LR. So find someone you can stand to listen too, so that you can really take in what they are showing you. You will get better the more you use it, just takes time.

I do think you are taking some pretty good car images. Those ones with the Road Closed sign and from the car show are pretty good. I like those.

I probably will end up getting the 6D...soon.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, 85mm 1.2L. Go big or go home haha.
I'll look into the 16-35, the rental place I've used only has the 2.8 version though. I've used the 17-40 a decent amount that was fairly happy. Hopefully selling my 10-22 today. Selling my 50mm f1.4 too, I hate the AF inconsistency.

Yeah I looked into how to get explored. You need to only upload a max of 2 images at a time, 1 is best. Then it depends on the groups you add it to and who favs your pictures. Its a weird thing.
I really need to clean my flickr out... everything looks different on flickr and I like viewing the difference on my large monitor vs phone. I also use flickr as my only photosharing site for forums and my website. I should really go through and make everything private/hidden. I can still share the link, but it won't display on my flickr. Try to only upload the best photos.

Thank you! I only really feel comfortable with cars so far... I wish I could get your landscape pictures, its always a struggle for me.
I'll check out that guy for lightroom. I have this big lightroom book, but I dislike reading haha.

6d is fantastic. Keep your crop for action shots though... I hope to add a used 7d one day if I get more into track photography.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Here is a couple more ... I did one with a Tobacco type filter. Just for fun. The other shots are outtakes to show you just part of the surroundings.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Sorry, 85mm 1.2L. Go big or go home haha.
I'll look into the 16-35, the rental place I've used only has the 2.8 version though. I've used the 17-40 a decent amount that was fairly happy. Hopefully selling my 10-22 today. Selling my 50mm f1.4 too, I hate the AF inconsistency.

Yeah I looked into how to get explored. You need to only upload a max of 2 images at a time, 1 is best. Then it depends on the groups you add it to and who favs your pictures. Its a weird thing.
I really need to clean my flickr out... everything looks different on flickr and I like viewing the difference on my large monitor vs phone. I also use flickr as my only photosharing site for forums and my website. I should really go through and make everything private/hidden. I can still share the link, but it won't display on my flickr. Try to only upload the best photos.

Thank you! I only really feel comfortable with cars so far... I wish I could get your landscape pictures, its always a struggle for me.
I'll check out that guy for lightroom. I have this big lightroom book, but I dislike reading haha.

6d is fantastic. Keep your crop for action shots though... I hope to add a used 7d one day if I get more into track photography.
Yeah I bought the 80D mostly for wildlife stuff. So yeah I need both types. Good luck on the sale! I had the 50mm 1.4 too and same problem as you, so I returned it. A new one should becoming out soon. That is cool that you rent lenses, I haven't done that before. I should though.

Landscapes are a struggle for me too! I have a love/hate relationship with them. They are so challenging and time consuming.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like that second pic!

My friend used Lens Lender here in canada for an engagement party. Its pretty sweet and easy! I thought I'd try it with the macro, the rest of the lenses I've been trying are my friends. Lens lender is canada only, they do have links on their website for US companies though. Its way nicer to spent like $100 to give a lens a proper test before you spend $1000+.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online