Moving on or not, decision to be made...

myk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted and supported this site in a long while, and I apologize for that. The momentum that appeared suddnely for my '98 GT a year or so ago disappeared as fast as it came to be, when plans to 'mod it using a local speed shop turned ugly and left a sour taste on the whole thing. I abandoned any plans to 'mod it's mod motor internally, and was just content to DD it bone stock.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I rear-ended someone in the '98 because I just wasn't paying attention on a lazy afternoon spent all day at the beach. Airbags went off and this was the result of the damage on the outside:

AAA, my insurance company quickly wrote the car off as a total loss. I was heartbroken to say the least. I bought this car brand new off of the showroom floor in 1998 with 10 miles on the 'odo, and this car has been with me through hell and back over the last 18 years. Sure, after I bought it I got into F bodies, a '97 Z28 Vert and a '99 F-bird T/A WS6, and I always kept and built on my first car, a '69 Charger R/T, but I always kept my Mustang GT around as an ultra-reliable DD that didn't have the "drama" (reliability, practicality) issues that the other three cars have.

So, with my life-long buddy about to be taken away from me forever I was very miserable. I figured I was screwed, in that I did not want to have to rely on the F bodies or the Charger for DD duty anyway. Even if I wanted to, I see how modern auto insurance treats older cars like ours and if something were to happen to the rest of my stable I'd be screwed just like I was with the Mustang. You guys can imagine how stoked I was when AAA said they were going to give me $6300 to take the car; $6K if I kept the car.

At this point I started to feel hopeful, since I figured with $6K I'd be able to buy a daily driver to protect my other three cars and carry on with my life. So, with a lot of hours spent on the internet I found this thing:

It's an '01 A4 with 57K on the 'odo. Now I know the SN95 and the 'Edge are about 5,000 years old but like I've always said, the SN95 and the Edge are MY personal favorite Mustangs of all time. Yeah, there are faster, more advanced/classic Mustangs and all that, but I grew up worshipping these cars so that's where my loyalty is. Anyway, I can't remember being this excited for a car in a long while, and I'm eagerly setting on the same 'mod route that I followed for my '98 GT: springs for lowering and handling, and matching shocks and struts.

This is where I need to ask you guys: I used SR Performance lowering springs and Koni STR.T's for my '98. Now although the look is KILLER, I'm not sure the handling was. Everytime I'd take a dip in the road at speed the Mustang on rebound would bounce me up in my seat so hard and high that my head would almost hit the roof! I was going to buy the same setup for my New Edge, since I loved the 1.5" drop all around, but can you guys recommend something that won't rebound as badly as my '98 does? Other than that I plan on fixing the few dents and dings on the body, fixing some of the interior trim pieces, replacing the Mach 460 head unit (nice sounding system but that 6 disc changer just ate my cd's!). I don't plan on digging into the rest of the car because quite frankly I think it's just about perfect, and I don't have the time and money when I've still got three other cars that need attention also. Any other suggestions on maintenance or 'mods you guys have that might be unique to the New Edge, or any other input on the New Edge would be greatly appreciated.

Now if you guys will just bear with me for a little more, I have one more question to ask. I figured with my totaled '98 I'd take the 6K from AAA and pay off the New Edge, since that's how much I paid for it. BUT...my insurance 'rep is a super cool girl who had the craziest idea I have heard all week: if I love the '98 GT so much, WHY DON'T I JUST KEEP IT? She says there's no law that says I can't keep the car and slowly fix it on my own and putting it on the road again. Sure, it'll be a salvaged vehicle, but who cares? I don't plan on selling it since I consider it a part of my life. What do you guys think? I love this car despite its shortcomings so do you think that's a reasonable idea? How much damage do you guys think the '98 sustained? Do you guys think it looks badly damaged? What about the airbags? Would I have to replace those things, or could they wait until I got the car's body fixed again? How much do you think a body shop would charge for the body work?

I know this is a lot to post after disappearing for a bit, but I need your guy's input since no one else can relate to my love for these misunderstood and under-appreciated cars. I thank all of you for listening and hope you have some ideas to toss my way regarding my New Edge as well as the fate of my beloved '98 GT. Thanks again for being there...

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
$300. I get $6,300 if I give it to AAA, and $6K if I keep it...

chris91

Reaction score
Personally I'd keep it. I mean it's only $300. If you have the space for it keep it around and get back to it when you can.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would buy it back for $300 all day long. The fenders dont even look bent. Was it still running afterward? No leaking antifreeze or anything?

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Personally I'd keep it. I mean it's only $300. If you have the space for it keep it around and get back to it when you can.

Yeah space is an issue. All of the cars are parked on the street except for the '69. I'd gladly deal with parking headaches if it meant keeping my car.

I would buy it back for $300 all day long. The fenders dont even look bent. Was it still running afterward? No leaking antifreeze or anything?

Car runs perfectly, no leaks or strange noises-nothing. After the tow truck dropped it off at my house I had to drive it around until I found a spot to park.

For $300, if you have the space to store it and the time and will to restore is slowly then I say: you are going to regret it if you don't do it.

Before I knew I was going to get more than blue book value for the car I was so heartbroken thinking it was going to get hauled away. I couldn't even imagine the day if it had come.

What's all damaged?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See pictures above.

it has less damage then mine did

What happened to your car? Did you take it in to a shop for the work? Did your airbags deploy? I'm hoping I can get the body work done and then skip the airbags until a later date. AAA told me the airbags are like $1000 each!

lutter94

Reaction score
See pictures above.

I'm hoping I can get the body work done and then skip the airbags until a later date. AAA told me the airbags are like $1000 each!

But you don't have pictures of blown airbags? If there aren't "pics above" of deployed bags, I would have to presume that they are fine? :)

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
No, they're blown. I hope the body shops will agree to fix the body and hold off on the bags. However, I'm told the DMV will need to run a safety check on the car before I can get it on the road again...:undecided:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
No, they're blown. I hope the body shops will agree to fix the body and hold off on the bags. However, I'm told the DMV will need to run a safety check on the car before I can get it on the road again...:undecided:

Dude, you can get used air bags on a lot of the sites. They are really easy to change, people just frown on shipping them lol.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
#1 Don't buy anymore SR anything. Just really cheap chinese knockoffs of everything.

#2 For $300 I would keep the white car and part it out. You could probably pull in an easy $1000 to put towards the new cars suspension.

#3 Nice job on the new car! That's a nice car you found for $6k!!!

#4 H&R, Steeda, Ford Racing would be the only springs I would use.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
16280994_large.jpg

I took it to a shop for the core support and frame and then took it home, got a parts car and have been improving it since and got way overboard on it. The key is to get a good parts car that you can get your parts from, as well as sell other stuff from to help get as much out of it as you can.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
A garage, I'm jealous. Well your car certainly bounced back from certain doom. I'm going to start calling around to see what body shops will be willing to look at my car.

As for the '01, I'm going to skip the SR springs and go with Ford B springs instead. My only hope is that they drop the car enough because I've forgotten just how much I hate the stock ride height. Thanks everyone, for your input.

lutter94

Reaction score
I have B springs w/ isolaters installed.

Crappy sig i threw together once, but a better view of ride height than the current sig.

sig1_zpse61ff7fe.jpg

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
For 300 I'd keep it and fix it, or part it out and make some extra cash. I had ford b springs, even with a full coil cut and no isos it still sat like a truck. Eibach Pro Kit is a solid 1.5" drop.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
even if you don't fix it buy it back and find someone that needs a rear end parts car and you can earn a few bucks on it

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
That's the confusing thing to me about springs: there's no clear winner when it comes to dropping ride heights. Some people are satisfied with the drop, others not so, and this applies to every spring I've looked at. Ironically the SR springs were the cheapest and I was satisfied with the drop, but the ride was terrible.

I'm at a body shop right now. They're telling me it's a part swap job, nothing more. They don't see frame damage and the worst of the hit was on the bumper support. Now they have to find the parts...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's the confusing thing to me about springs: there's no clear winner when it comes to dropping ride heights. Some people are satisfied with the drop, others not so, and this applies to every spring I've looked at. Ironically the SR springs were the cheapest and I was satisfied with the drop, but the ride was terrible.

I'm at a body shop right now. They're telling me it's a part swap job, nothing more. They don't see frame damage and the worst of the hit was on the bumper support. Now they have to find the parts...

DO NOT DO REPRODUCTION PARTS!!!!! I was not able to find a drives side fender stock so I went reproduction. The metal is so much thinner and softer then the passenger side I am afraid to lean on it. I heard the same about the core support if you swap that out and also heard of fitment issues with bumpers. It is not hard to patch a small hole/tear/chip in an old bumper but it can be nearly impossible to get a badly fitting panel to line up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online