Moving stock k member

Notthenow

Reaction score
I always thought the passenger side front tire was a little farther out than the driver side. Now installing a set of Pacesetter headers the passenger side rests against the k lower bracket while the drivers has about 1/2" clearance. Dropped plumb bobs and measurements show back to front good, but has side to side off 7/16" toward passenger side. It proves the issue. Now to more the K. I have the engine supported from above with an engine lift bar. Anyone do it this way and have an idea how to shift the K about a 1/4" toward the drivers side?

Benni614

Reaction score
I always thought the passenger side front tire was a little farther out than the driver side. Now installing a set of Pacesetter headers the passenger side rests against the k lower bracket while the drivers has about 1/2" clearance. Dropped plumb bobs and measurements show back to front good, but has side to side off 7/16" toward passenger side. It proves the issue. Now to more the K. I have the engine supported from above with an engine lift bar. Anyone do it this way and have an idea how to shift the K about a 1/4" toward the drivers side?
I believe upr makes brackets for this I used them with there k member but without it u might get a smidge of movement. But usually I have had one person pry against the k member as I ran down the bolts. But I also dumped the original k member because of fitment issues anyways.
5ba656574ba6f85a003024ab611d4016.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Hey Benni, are they brackets (UPR) to move engine over? Where did you pry on the k to get leverage to move it?

Benni614

Reaction score
Hey Benni, are they brackets (UPR) to move engine over? Where did you pry on the k to get leverage to move it?
So yes they make brackets and I put my pry bar in where the shock is and the 2 bolts are either side pass or driver but all bolts has to be loose a little

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Thanks, I will take a look at trying that tonight.

Benni614

Reaction score
Thanks, I will take a look at trying that tonight.
Yeah no problem bro hit me up on IG benni614_turbo2v its easier because sometimes this app doesn't show notifications unless I open it.

Reaction score
moving the k is a bitch. if you can unbolt the engine from the k, support the engine and then have majority of weight off the k member you can move it easier. a pry bar in any logical spot on the k should do the job

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, that what I figured. I have the rack off the k and accessories off the motor and an engine support in place with the car up on 12" "lincoln logs" I will transfer the front end to the frame rails, take off the wheels, loosen the k bolts, and see what a crow bar and some luck will do.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
I gotta say that is so true. I do not miss what happened to cars when I grew up in Illinois. Rotted bottoms of body panels and floors and using WD 40 and an acetylene torch to heat up or cut off rusty bolts.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Ok, to put a lid on this question: the stock k member is NOT adjustable. The left forward bolt hole is concentric. The other 7 holes are slotted of larger, but that is simple so you can line up bolt holes from production tolerances. I am attaching a photo. If I want to slide mine over more to the left side I will have to make the needed openings.20201105_164358.jpg

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
I'm tempted to try an aftermarket k and I do respect MM, but I don't like being forced to go coil over and A arm.

Werecow

Reaction score
You don't have to go tubular arms and coil overs... Use a team z I think they'll use factory arms, if not you can use UPR plates on team z's arms and use regular coils without using coilovers.. you can use your coils and struts that way..... Then whenever you can, drop off the plates and your ready for a coilover kit just use your existing strut..

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Werecow, I looked at that too, but so many say the Z and UPR are not really for DD street use whereas the MM could handle it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First things first. The team z can be used with factory a arms but you have to lightly modify them and yes, you need spring perches.

Team z is fully capable of being daily driven. They’re one of the most popular products out there. What you have to look at is whether your car is more street/strip or if your a corner carver. They have a k member specifically for those who will punish their car in the corners that is heavily reinforced for such.

What your hearing is all the mm fanboys who say it’s mm or nothing. Don’t believe the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online

No members online now.